Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Best Qualifications For New Uk Pilot

Ummmmm.....sucked into the Logging,Gas, Oil sector?????? Am I detecting "those", may be lowering oneself in the industry?

Believe me......I make a damm fine living logging, and it's by choice!

HeliLog

I meant nothing by that comment.....just a bad choice of phrase.

Sorry KK

Just thought I would ask advice from the coalface rather than trawling the web for stuff that's out of date. Either that or blurb that training schools would tell me just to get the cash? Not that they would :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3Lions I was wondering if it is lonely up there on that pedestal?

I wasn't born in Canada myself. When a person posts something to the degree of having too lower themselves into a certain sector some people might get a little defencive.

As for you finding something to do with your spare time you could start by growing some thicker skin and if you complete that task you can kiss my a55!

Plumber

Same as I have replied to helilog (cap in hand again, and I've not even landed yet?)

I didn't want to start a fight/feud...just after advice.

I made a mistake in my phrase, that's all. I made no reference to having to lower myself??

I spent 8yrs flying Mil of which 3yrs+ in the jungle and thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

Learned alot, listened to the Engineers and worked hard.

I aim this not to change. I meant that I just wanted to keep my options open for any future that may open up.

Are options not a helicopter pilots best friend?

Sorry again for any upset caused. KK

Plumber

Same as I have replied to helilog (cap in hand again, and I've not even landed yet?)

I didn't want to start a fight/feud...just after advice.

I made a mistake in my phrase, that's all. I made no reference to having to lower myself??

I spent 8yrs flying Mil of which 3yrs+ in the jungle and thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

Learned alot, listened to the Engineers and worked hard.

I aim this not to change. I meant that I just wanted to keep my options open for any future that may open up.

Are options not a helicopter pilots best friend?

Sorry again for any upset caused. KK

Kiefke, Thanks for your intelligent request for information about flying in Canada. As some have said, there could not be a worse time to be looking for work here. There are probably hundreds of pilots unemployed in Canada now. You seem like a good guy to work alongside and would enjoy bush helicopter work. In 42 years of flying here I have flown from northern Ontario to Vancouver Island, to Herschel Island to 100 miles south of Alert an Ellesmere Island. I think very few non pilots have seen so much of this country.

There can be tremendous variety in bush flying. Fires, seizmic, airbourne geophysical, pipeline or powerline patrols, helilogging, heliski, exploration support, and much more. Certainly a lot more interesting than the repetitiveness of IFR work, and exploration camp tent living is not bad nowadays!

There have been some non-constructive, unfriendly responses to your request. Possibly some are amongst the presently unemployed. I too have been unemployed for 61/2 months and it's looking grim for employment until hopefully next year, but I hope I never get as bitter and twisted as some who haunt this forum. Good luck.

HeliLog

I meant nothing by that comment.....just a bad choice of phrase.

Sorry KK

Just thought I would ask advice from the coalface rather than trawling the web for stuff that's out of date. Either that or blurb that training schools would tell me just to get the cash? Not that they would :)

No harm done kiefk......I did take it the wrong way (only slightly though), my reply was meant to be with a bit of dry humour..... but that happens all to frequently on these forums. Just a bit of mis-communication :o

All that you mentioned are usually very busy sectors of the heli-industry in Canada, and excellent ways to make a steady living in the industry.

As much as it is said, logging is "in the toilet", we still have ships going steady.....granted I will probably only fly about 800 hrs this year vs 1,000, but hey, times are tough!!!??? ;)

Yes, this site can be a great source of information.....but you just have to put up with some sarcasim, negativity, and nay-saying.

How thick is your skin?????? :lol::rolleyes::)

Cheers, and good luck H56

Kiefke, Thanks for your intelligent request for information about flying in Canada. As some have said, there could not be a worse time to be looking for work here. There are probably hundreds of pilots unemployed in Canada now. You seem like a good guy to work alongside and would enjoy bush helicopter work. In 42 years of flying here I have flown from northern Ontario to Vancouver Island, to Herschel Island to 100 miles south of Alert an Ellesmere Island. I think very few non pilots have seen so much of this country.

There can be tremendous variety in bush flying. Fires, seizmic, airbourne geophysical, pipeline or powerline patrols, helilogging, heliski, exploration support, and much more. Certainly a lot more interesting than the repetitiveness of IFR work, and exploration camp tent living is not bad nowadays!

There have been some non-constructive, unfriendly responses to your request. Possibly some are amongst the presently unemployed. I too have been unemployed for 61/2 months and it's looking grim for employment until hopefully next year, but I hope I never get as bitter and twisted as some who haunt this forum. Good luck.

Thanks and Good luck to you with the future.

I can't wait to come and fly in canada where ever I am lucky enough to be employed to do what ever the employer wants (as long as its safe).

As I keep repeating just looking for inciteful advice from those of you who know. :)

No harm done kiefk......I did take it the wrong way (only slightly though), my reply was meant to be with a bit of dry humour..... but that happens all to frequently on these forums. Just a bit of mis-communication :o

All that you mentioned are usually very busy sectors of the heli-industry in Canada, and excellent ways to make a steady living in the industry.

As much as it is said, logging is "in the toilet", we still have ships going steady.....granted I will probably only fly about 800 hrs this year vs 1,000, but hey, times are tough!!!??? ;)

Yes, this site can be a great source of information.....but you just have to put up with some sarcasim, negativity, and nay-saying.

How thick is your skin?????? :lol::rolleyes::)

Cheers, and good luck H56

Thanks Buddy

23 yrs in the British Army and the skin is like a rhino..........obviously I just don't know u well enough to know how much of the p*ss I can rip :lol:

Happy flying to u all KK