Getting Extra Lift Out Of M/r Blades

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Angry Egg Driver
I'm working at 2000ft right now. in +32 C Temps with a 500 D moving a dimond drill.

I heard a rumor that if you wax your blades you can increase effiencey, and get more lift.

Has anyone every heard of this or tried it?

I dont know if i would wax them but having 500 blades clean will make a huge difference in lift...

Yes, clean the blades.....give the customer what he is paying for.....but not more than what the machine can do.

At those temps, you are actually at about 4500' density altitude.

Politely explain this to your customer, carefully re-calculate your performance charts, and reduce the loads accordingly.

Also, watch the TOT guage, because it will become the limiting factor.

....and remember you can only expect so much from a 500 at those temps......that's why the 530F was created!

Yes you are right. I have been temping out. only getting 80% torque on some days.

I've just been doing the moves early in the morning when it is cool.

I also clean all the bugs off the blades, every day. I was told you can loose up to 50lb of lift from having dirty blades.

Aaaah yes, temping out.......

Gotta love a customer that wants a 500 to move a drill in July !!!!

Wash the compressor......that may give you a few more %Tq before temping out.

(.....no, don't wax those blades either.....He He He)

Stay cool, never let them see you sweat.

have not flown a 500 but on the 206...was moving drills in july...also had to move them in the a:m before the temps got over 20C...but also took off all the doors and put the wind at my right side of the aircraft...note...not into wind...keep full left peddle or whatever you need to keep the machine 90 degrees out of direct wind...the more the better... if you try to decrease the torque by adding even slight right peddle the governor will think...hey he doesn't need all this gas and will decrease fuel flow...and down you go...with the wind blowning even slightly thru the aircraft you would not believe the added lift that the old jetbox got...had too move that friggin drill 17 times with bearly any fuel in the machine....had fuel set up at both the pickup site and the drop off site...this worked for me with the 206...could not say if it will work on the 500...enjoy ;)

and do a power check!!! these OGE/IGE charts are based upon the engine producing the proper amount of HP, if the engine dosen't pass, get some troubleshooting done.

Are you using PMA blades? (the ones with the large divot on the top behind the leading edge???)

Guest Angry Egg Driver
have not flown a 500 but on the 206...was moving drills in july...also had to move them in the a:m before the temps got over 20C...but also took off all the doors and put the wind at my right side of the aircraft...note...not into wind...keep full left peddle or whatever you need to keep the machine 90 degrees out of direct wind...the more the better... if you try to decrease the torque by adding even slight right peddle the governor will think...hey he doesn't need all this gas and will decrease fuel flow...and down you go...with the wind blowning even slightly thru the aircraft you would not believe the added lift that the old jetbox got...had too move that friggin drill 17 times with bearly any fuel in the machine....had fuel set up at both the pickup site and the drop off site...this worked for me with the 206...could not say if it will work on the 500...enjoy ;)

No disrespect to you DGP...but having to strip the machine down that much and having to run that low on fuel doesnt allow for much of a safety factor?That is old school drill moving.In this day and age if companies are still moving drills with under powered aircraft, they get what they deserve if the #### hits the fan.I even heard stories of guys taking the batteries out of 500's once they had them started.Maybe bs,i'm not sure.

cheers