Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Getting Extra Lift Out Of M/r Blades

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EED....unfortunately I have had to put up with ops managers that tell customers a jetbox will lift the f...ing world and when you show up the pilot that is leaving tells you don't put more than 20 gallons of fuel in her or you will not move the drill and by the way the next move is 17 miles and so on and so on...what do you mean you don't like flying around with dick all for gas..the last pilot had no problem and he was bigger than you...do you want me to continue...I have friends that would be told this and more bull*&!t from useless ops managers...must be old school guys...no one today would ever try that....well that must be why pilot/eng are not liked as we try to fly using those things on the dash called gauges....just kiding.....just trying to stay within limits with what you have to work with...so call me old school...as my good buddy john flesher use to say...I was born at night...but not last night :lol: cheers

Hey Pup,

The wax will do nothing for lift. Your better off skipping breakfast on drill move days. If you wax the blades the next problem you will have is the tabe wont want to stick to the wax. Oh maybee check the length of tape. If its 2 feet you can get your engineer to shorten it up. That might give you a pound or two. Also blade tiedowns at the tips of your blades will destroy a bit of lift. So missing breakfast tie downs and tape that might give you 10 or 20 lbs. PMA blades suck

cheers

Hi All,

MR blades (disc ) tracking seems to have a great influence on performance. A low tracked MR provides a larger disc at high power / collective settings(coning angle). A slow process considering flight control rigging and interchanging (weighing) blades to figure out the lowest flying one. Most likely there is not enough time to do it this way. There are many contributing factors decreasing lift regarding external load ops. I.e cargo baskets, flight steps, squirrel cheeks ( AS350) all interfere with induced airflow from the rotors. Changing aircraft configurations - taking doors off, stripping seats or even batteries shows one doesn`t have the right machine for the job. But as you all know most likely you do what you can to make it work.

Fly safe

Cleaning the blades might help a tiny bit, but I don't know if you will really notice it. There isn't really too much you can do if the poor 500 is temping out. Make sure the drillers are breaking things down as much as they can and pray for wind on the move days.

Make sure you plot some power checks to be sure you don't have an air leak and are temping out too soon. A common culprit is the big steel braided heater line back there. They seem to get over looked a lot and if it's leaking it can be pretty harsh on your TOT.

Good luck and congrats on actually having some work to do!

Hey Pup,

The wax will do nothing for lift. Your better off skipping breakfast on drill move days. If you wax the blades the next problem you will have is the tabe wont want to stick to the wax. Oh maybee check the length of tape. If its 2 feet you can get your engineer to shorten it up. That might give you a pound or two. Also blade tiedowns at the tips of your blades will destroy a bit of lift. So missing breakfast tie downs and tape that might give you 10 or 20 lbs. PMA blades suck

cheers

Thanks, for the info.

How is everything going down there? It's been awhile since i've seen you around.

A trick I used to use was educate your drillers. You should only have 3 or 4 max weight loads have the guys ease up onthe weight of the other loads the moves will go faster and cost them less money.I have showed lots of drill pushes this and it always worked for me and I have never been kicked off a drill job.

Hey Pup,

cheers

In the 47 days it was clean and waxed blades that made the difference whether you worked that day or NOT AND 20 lbs was the difference whether it flew or NOT.... geeeesh KIDS

A trick I used to use was educate your drillers. You should only have 3 or 4 max weight loads have the guys ease up onthe weight of the other loads the moves will go faster and cost them less money.I have showed lots of drill pushes this and it always worked for me and I have never been kicked off a drill job.

So very, very true!!!

And this simple formula works for everything from a 47 to a 64.