Firelynx

Hi All!

I'm a long time lurker first time poster.

I’ve always loved helicopters, and I’ve been really thinking about going for my commercial license over the past few months. Give it a shot…. However looking into things for the past few weeks it look bleak that I’ll be able to find work right away (or even in the first year or two)

Been told by one person in the industry I’m stupid for wanting to start new in these times. Just wanted to get a general consensus from you guys…

If you were in my shoes, starting new, would you still fork out your savings to get trained? I’m looking at weekend training for now, be able to keep my day job until I get the hours or get into a ground crew.

Need a change in my life, and this has always been my #1 dream

Cheers,

Fire

no f-ing way would I go for a license right now.

There's merit in what amphibious posted, but I can shed some light on the other side of the issue, having just completed my training in January.

Granted, when I was doing my research and making my plans the industry was still quite active - the economic downturn along with last year's wet summer had only just begun to happen when I made the decision to follow my flying dream. Through timing, luck, keen-ness and perseverance I managed to get a summer flying job with Mountain View Helicopters, which also happens to be where I did my flight training. I'm out near Drumheller flying sightseeing tours over the badlands, learning tons and having a blast! My point is that it is very slim pickin's on the lowtimer market, but of my class of 10 commercial pilots, I think six of us ended up with flying jobs 9five with Mountain View, as it happens...) There *is* work out there, for us newbs, but I think it's the exception rather than the rule. There are also a lot of lowtimers *not* working. Further to that, there are a lot of experienced folks without work too. Did I mention that I feel VERY fortunate?

A similar question was posted here (or maybe another forum; can't recall). The consensus was that yes, this is a really tough time to be making a start in this industry. However, one or two folks suggested that *now* is the time to learn so that by the time the industry does pick up, you will already have your license and have spent some time out pounding the pavement and meeting folks. You'd be one step ahead of the rest of the lowtimers who are just wrapping up their training.

A lot depends on you and your personal situation. Are you prepared to quit your current career and start over? Do you have a lot of payments to make? Are you prepared to have little to no income for a couple years? Can you afford to be away from home for a long time? Do you have money put away for the training, or will you be financing most of it?

My advice (bearing in mind I'm a newbie myself): Do lots of research, soul-searching, planning, and make sure you're prepared to deal with the worst.

Best of luck!

- Darren

Well as Darren says life is hard but if you work hard you will reach your goal to become a pilot.

I myself just finished school 5 weeks ago same as Darren at Mountain View Helicopters and it is not easy to get a job but with a bit of effort and searching (has to be done for any dream job) everyone will find a job.

To the beginning money should not be something you should look for be happy to get hours first. The more you have the better chances you will have in getting a job.

If becoming a pilot is your dream then do it and plan upfront that you have a bit of money to back you up when you are finished with school since pay checks stay small for a while.

I started my training since it was a dream i followed since 20 years almost and no matter what I will get a job and will live my dream. Money is nice but "flying" well what should I say, there is nothing nicer!

no f-ing way would I go for a license right now.

Amen! Stupid is a bad term Irresponsible is the term I would tell a friend.

If you are from a wealthy family and have unlimited money go for it. Its the best time you'll ever have but if its your life savings and you have no real skills to fall back on then your being a little silly.

Sight seeing tours might be a way to build time but theres alot of guys and girls out there with siesmic, logging, firefighting, and you name it, plus thousands of hours under their belt who are looking for other types of work right now.

Good luck in what ever you choose.

Hi there Mr. Lynx,

It's been a tough year, some folks have done better than others.

I've been in this biz only 8 years, and in that time it's been hard for low timers to get going. Good luck, dedication, and a super work ethic seem to be important qualities for getting that first job.

Best of luck,

Dick

I can only repeat what basically has already been posted. I know a couple pilots who finished their training earlier this year and both have found jobs flying already. It may be a tough economy but if this is your dream and you have the knack for it, everything will work out. The economy is picking up so maybe now is the time to do it!

I would wait and see what next year is shaping up to look like in terms of the canadian economy before i pulled the trigger on training. As already stated above, also try and have some sort of plan in place for AFTER training in case you dont get hired etc etc.