Mvh

oreomaster

To your question:

So I just finished off this spring my commercial training at Mountain View Helicopters at Springbank airport just west of Calgary.

My training was set up as to 95 hours with the R22, 5 hours R44 and 10 hours on the B206 (optional) (long and short line + bucket training).

Everyone there is friendly and helpful. They have the knowledge needed to train you and are willing to give everything to make you become the best!

They have 3 classes a year (Jan., May, Sep.) and there is space for up to 12 people.

As far as I know there are for this fall still 5 spots open!

The costs vary to what ratings you are after.

They do have adv. training to offer after you finish off like Mountain Training, IFR (R44) and night rating.

To the area of training.

Springbank airport is located about 10 km west of Calgary city limits and offers a wide area of training possibilities. Prairies, Rivers and 15 min to the mountains. The airport itself has 2 runways (North - South, East - West) and offers alot of air traffic to the benefit that you learn from the beginning on how to work yourself around busy airports and learn to talk on the radio when there is alot going on. Springbank airport has on some days almost the same amount of traffic as Calgary Int. this sounds like alot of work for a rookie but believe me this is more fun then radio silence!

MVH does hire there on pilots as needed for their summer tours in Drumheller and for News Helicopters in a few cities across Canada.

You can look them up on their webpage under http://www.mvheli.com/training/disc_flights.aspx.

Hope this helps you out a bit if there are any question please go ahead and PM me anytime.

Thomas

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on your licence!

The way you worded your post i'm guessing they gave you a job? Do they actualy hire all 36 student every year, they must have like 3,000 machines. If not what about the ones they don't hire, I'm guessing they are on thier own.

Best of luck on your new career! :D

rob

Thanks alot!

Well they do not hire everybody but about 5-6 people every year!

So far I was not lucky myself to get a job there. But they always get back to there students if a spot opens and for that I am hoping.

Even though, they are still the place to go for training and am very happy to have chosen them for my training!

• 2 months later...
Congrats on your licence!

The way you worded your post i'm guessing they gave you a job? Do they actualy hire all 36 student every year, they must have like 3,000 machines. If not what about the ones they don't hire, I'm guessing they are on thier own.

Best of luck on your new career! :D

rob

of course they don't and can't hire all 36 students, at least they hire some of their students. Some the parent-paying spoiled brats must be weeded out !!!

Shakey...I am not sure which school gave you this attitude. Nothing is free and a student that dosen't show the drive dosen't deserve a position. The facts are MTV works very hard to give it's students a chance. If a good student is not given a job it is simply because the position is not available.....welcome to the world of employment. However, the school will still keep eye's and ear's open for employment, even years later when the student has 2000 hrs!!

MTV has been doing this progaram for at least six years, puting many students into the work force with a bang! As far as a carrot...well **** rights it's a carrot! a carrot to perform well and work hard throughout your training, it can be called what ever you want.

Cudo's to MTN for caring and being so pro-active in supporting theur students!!

for the record..I don't work there and have not for several years, and yes I am a product of that school and their work program who is working full time right through this recession. now over to the 'winner is' topic shakey.

So ,Shakey ya long lost friend!I see your bitching is a habit not a coincidence.Well dude,you are one bitter mo fo and I wonder who would keep a guy like you on payroll .Or who would wanna work with you in the field for that matter.Business is business and if I wanna catch rabbits I will dangle a God dam carrot. It is important to note that MVH will not make fake promises for the purpose of getting students.They will tell you straight up what the truth of the matter is and advise that you think about it before making a decision that will cost you money.It is obvious(maybe not to you)that they can not hire 36 students in the summer,but they will have in mind your attempts to break trough and they will keep a running account of job availabilities with the helicopter operators across Alberta and Canada.I know many pilots that got their start via the Drumheller tour operation ,and I know many pilots that started with other operators on recommendation from MVH instructors.Yes I got my licence with them,no I have never worked for them and yes I am flying.