Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Lillooet

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great vid. have absolutely zero sympathy for the media when they chose to enter restricted areas. poor little muffin, messed up her hair. wonder who got to tell her to pound sand when she complained? :)

buy that driver a beer :P

A reporter and photographer are on the edge of an airport ramp, with permission or not, is never made clear. A helicopter with bucket apparently flies over them, I do hope that was not correct, lands very close, blowing some object between the cameraman and the reporter, and then later lands a little further away. From the photo where we see the helicopter at the end of the story it appears to be a reasonable distance away from them with no other helicopters nearby and lots of space for the landing. Why did he land very close initially? Was he deliberately trying to blow them around on his first landing? If so, he was breaking a few of the aforementioned CARS and for any pilot to cheer that action on is a disgrace and indicates equally poor judgement. It doesn't matter if they had permission. It is the pilots duty to react to the situation as it exists, not as he wishes it to be. One would hope that someone entrusted to fly a 212 would show better airmanship, and any other pilot as well.

A reporter and photographer are on the edge of an airport ramp, with permission or not, is never made clear. A helicopter with bucket apparently flies over them, I do hope that was not correct, lands very close, blowing some object between the cameraman and the reporter, and then later lands a little further away. From the photo where we see the helicopter at the end of the story it appears to be a reasonable distance away from them with no other helicopters nearby and lots of space for the landing. Why did he land very close initially? Was he deliberately trying to blow them around on his first landing? If so, he was breaking a few of the aforementioned CARS and for any pilot to cheer that action on is a disgrace and indicates equally poor judgement. It doesn't matter if they had permission. It is the pilots duty to react to the situation as it exists, not as he wishes it to be. One would hope that someone entrusted to fly a 212 would show better airmanship, and any other pilot as well.

did you listen/watch the vid? he landed once. he was probably hovering to lay his line & bucket out, then backed up and landed.why did he pick that spot? maybe he didn't have a choice. if it;s anything like the BCFS pads I've been to, they tell the lights to land one spot, the mediums another, etc.

she "suspects" he was supposed to land someplace else. if he panned farther left what would we have see? could be a very good reason for him landing where he did. as for the reporter, respectfully, what the F*ck does she know?

objects looks like a camera strap to me, but hey, like you, I wasn't there either ;)

did you listen/watch the vid? he landed once. he was probably hovering to lay his line & bucket out, then backed up and landed.why did he pick that spot? maybe he didn't have a choice. if it;s anything like the BCFS pads I've been to, they tell the lights to land one spot, the mediums another, etc.

she "suspects" he was supposed to land someplace else. if he panned farther left what would we have see? could be a very good reason for him landing where he did. as for the reporter, respectfully, what the F*ck does she know?

objects looks like a camera strap to me, but hey, like you, I wasn't there either ;)

I did watch the video 3 times. Only 1 landing was heard , but there was a break in the photography, and on their return they said there was 2 landings. I fought fires out of Lillooet a few years ago and I believe we were flying out of the Lillooet airport, across the river from the town and the fire at that time which was also just west of the townsite. The comments from people cheering on the "blow job" were not indicative of a sense of good airmanship. It was this type of comment that inspired me to butt into this topic. We don't need to encourage this type of thinking amongst our newer pilots.

From the sound of it, it seemed like a pretty normal landing. What's the big deal? A bit of dust, some loose stuff blown around and someone got their hair messed up. I bet the pilot who was flying is rolling their eyes and wondering what all the fuss is about. As for flying too close, it's an assumption (probably, but?) that there was a longline/bucket on the machine and an even greater one that it passed over the news crew. Certainly it would be the responsibility of the pilot to avoid flying over them regardless of whether or not they were there with permission but since we can't determine if it was the case, it's pointless to hypothesize. Besides what's close anyway? Anyone bucketing in those mountains is going to have a "bit" of experience and is probably used to landing their machine INCHES away from people when doing pick-ups or drop-offs so i think that avoiding a camera crew when doing a landing at a prepared site would not be too much of a hardship. I think that most pilots wouldn't go out of their way to "sandblast" a news crew or other bystanders but probably wouldn't loose too much sleep over it if they did, that's my take on it anyway. Besides what were they expecting, it's dry, dusty and oh......here comes a helicopter.....hmmmmm, let me see........ :rolleyes:

Cheers all :)

L3

If you listen to the clip at approx 1 minute 45 seconds you can hear another machine spooling up. Therefore I think it gives good reason that he/she landed where he/she did to give the other machine clearance. :D

As long as helicopters have been flying people have been getting p i ss ed off at the downwash, until they make a machine that works with magnetic pulse generators people will keep getting hit with down wash. I only think it's a shame she wasn't wearing a long flowing skirt, those are my favorite downwash targets.

Come on guys and gals, I can't believe there is anyone

alive who didn't think that was f'n super duper hilarious ;):D:lol: :blur: :prop:

rob