Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Commercial Add On

Hi ALL,

I am from italy, 36 old, CPL fixed wing 2000 TT 1500 IR on aeroplane.

I would switch to helicopter, thinking of FAA commercial Add on+IR on my fixed wing licence.

Is my aeroplane experience recognised once I will search for a rotary job?

Commercial add on is just 60 hours....chances to get a job once I will get it or it is just waist of money?

Am I too old?

Thanks for all prompt and sujjestion

Hello liftman,

Unfortunately, at least in the U.S., your fixed-wing time will not be much help in finding a low-time helicopter job. Most entry-level helicopter jobs in the U.S. are flight instructing jobs, which require at least 200 hours of helicopter time (some insurance companies require more), plus a flight instructor certificate. There are a few jobs out there besides flight instructing, but I don't know anyone who would hire someone with fewer than 100 hours of helicopter time for any job. Once you move into higher-time jobs, your fixed-wing hours and IR experience will be more useful.

The good news is, you're not too old! One of my good friends, a fixed-wing bush pilot-turned-airline captain, took up helicopters as his retirement job at age 60, and has done very well. But he had to pay his dues in the helicopter world first!

Cheers,

Elan