Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tower Hover Exit

The step you are referring to might be the Helinas system used on the TwinStar. It is a work platform for the maintenance of items such as marker balls and insulators. I'll try to find a decent picture of that. It was not intended for disembarking in flight as, I believe, it has a set of counterweights on the opposite side of the fuselage.

http://www.canadianhelicopters.com/frame/c...nt/helinas.html

helinas_2.jpg

Just a few years ago we were only allowed to use the 206 for tower landings. It had to be equipped as per some BC Hydro guidelines... Remove bearpaws, remove starboard doors, remove skid bolts for the gound handling wheels, remove range extender, and attach the STC'd handle. Pretty much the configuration shown below.

Ontario likely has a different set of rules, but the Astar is not the best choice as it can get into a ground resonance situation on the bridgetop. It happened to a co-worker on my base and scared the heck out of him.

lnk1365(0).jpg

The door was left on this aircraft as it was only a training flight.

lnk664(0).jpg

RH