Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The Economy And Heli Industry

Helicopter Industry and Economy.  

148 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pole kinda says it all. As an outsider trying to enter the helicopter industry as a pilot I'm trying to figure out when there may be a resurgence of work out there: before the economy recovers or after.

I was thinking that some of the more experienced people hear have an good hunch the industry will a turn-around. Is there an established pattern of the industry's recovery based upon economic recovery?

Cheers,

I'm still quite fresh but from what ive seen in the industry... the recession didn't really hit bc until this year, so i'm guessing it will lag in recovery... It's hard to say if there is a common wave of recovery when the industry is only 50 years old and there has only been one real recession in the early 80's to compare to... So in my opinion, people say the economy is on the slow upswing but we have passed the lowpoint and our industry should shortly follow as the helicopter is a vital workhorse.

rts

The work for heli's in the resource based side will begin to show improvement when the junior mining companies will again be able to access credit, so this is a function of the difficulty to access credit and the credit market, that has affected seismic work and mining.Higher prices for oil,and base minerals will also directly affect future work. Logging is affected by these factors as well but more by the base price of wood for export and regulations.

I don't think there is a clear cut answer, with so many factors. :wacko:

2011 perhaps?

If I were to hazzard a guess (and it is only a guess) I would say 2010 will only be a slight improvement on 2009 and in 2011 it will pick up again... but certainly not to the levels we saw in 2006 or 2007.

On the logging side of things, we have started to see a lot more companies out looking at would and a lot more contracts being signed. Crews have started roping in blocks so it should start to head toward the falling within a short time. I would say for the heavies that will not have them pulling much before the end of this year but 2010 should look a lot better than this year.

I think the economy won't finish settling until after the holidays, people will likely hold onto there cash, and spend very little, and then slowly start spending in the new year. which means that fuel won't really start to rise until late spring. That being said our industry won't see any real work until the fall of 2010 at the earlyest.