Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Astar B2 Motor (ariel ) Promblem ?

3 weeks a go the motor from or b2 ad a promblem ...the pilot made a shut donw to pick un is long line ...after 5 minutes he try to strart the motor,at 30 % on ng he heard a noise in the motor ,some kind of grinding then the motor would not start.....seem like a bearing or the compressor........he put is hand in the air intake duct the motor was jammed...after a few minutes the motor was not jammed ,i was abble to turn it but they was a grinding nose............................

okok ..they put a new overhall motor from turbomeca........now guess what today at 5;30 i a was stuck in the bush 86 miles from my camp......same story again ....after my shut down..........pick up my line the #### motor would not start,,,,,grinding nose was comming from motor att the start..................

2 motors in 6 week.........this is a joke ...

anybody ever heard any thing like that????????????????????

3 weeks a go the motor from or b2 ad a promblem ...the pilot made a shut donw to pick un is long line ...after 5 minutes he try to strart the motor,at 30 % on ng he heard a noise in the motor ,some kind of grinding then the motor would not start.....seem like a bearing or the compressor........he put is hand in the air intake duct the motor was jammed...after a few minutes the motor was not jammed ,i was abble to turn it but they was a grinding nose............................

okok ..they put a new overhall motor from turbomeca........now guess what today at 5;30 i a was stuck in the bush 86 miles from my camp......same story again ....after my shut down..........pick up my line the #### motor would not start,,,,,grinding nose was comming from motor att the start..................

just a guess.......jammed compressor. being N1....funny noises...... could it be the starter bearings and or shaft.

change engines......same starter/generator.

just a guess.....2 engines with same issues for turbomecca.. not too likely...

1d1 engines are pretty tough. pretty realiable.

Practically unheard of in the 350 world. Did you have the same compressor binding that you did with the first? Is your starter making the noise? Perhaps a common component to both engines? Too weird. Like someone else said the 1D1 is usually pretty trouble free and two engines in a row with issues....just a bad luck roll of the dice I guess.

I got this info from a friend of mine:

I have seen the problem before.

The starter generator induced a harmonic vibration into the rear compressor bearing (MO1) causing the bearing to wear.

Putting the hand into the intake an turning the compressor was hit or miss with it being stuck due to how the bearings were seated.

We had replaced the engine due to the ugly noise (for convenience) but did not replace the started generator.

Same problem occurred in 100 hrs.

The cause of the drag during the start was the starter/generator.

This time the starter generator was replaced due to the fan blade touching the outer shroud.

The dampen disk had failed but it wasn't visible till the starter generator was taken apart.

The starter windings had been worn where the commentator had been rubbing.

The repair to the MO1 was not expensive and we had the original engine reinstalled in 3 weeks.

Hope this helps.

I got this info from a friend of mine:

I have seen the problem before.

The starter generator induced a harmonic vibration into the rear compressor bearing (MO1) causing the bearing to wear.

Putting the hand into the intake an turning the compressor was hit or miss with it being stuck due to how the bearings were seated.

We had replaced the engine due to the ugly noise (for convenience) but did not replace the started generator.

Same problem occurred in 100 hrs.

The cause of the drag during the start was the starter/generator.

This time the starter generator was replaced due to the fan blade touching the outer shroud.

The dampen disk had failed but it wasn't visible till the starter generator was taken apart.

The starter windings had been worn where the commentator had been rubbing.

The repair to the MO1 was not expensive and we had the original engine reinstalled in 3 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Check SB 80.00.07! There is also an AD which is related.

• 2 weeks later...