Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Help Need With Spiining Load

In the past with similar loads I have had pretty good luck with making the lines on the leading end a bit longer. It may not take much, but could make a difference. But definitely, 407 Driver's fins will make all the difference in the world.

RH

Rotorhead is on the right track. This whole spinning load problem was explained to me many years ago by a aerodynamic engineer. Of course most of it was greek, but the jist was that it all had to do with mass. What happens is that when it is empty and with forward speed the load swings aft. The mass shifts and then wants to swap ends. When that happens the mass shifts and it starts it all over again. 407's solution will work, but what will happen is that the fins will have to be of sufficient size and have sufficent arm to counter act the effect. Akin to a tail rotor, you don't solve the problem, you just work against it. Changing the cable lengths will solve it. Of course then it will not fly level when full, which may be unacceptable.

Cheers

I first discovered this when flying snowmobiles around a drill camp. My old buddy, Darrel Adzich, told me that if the straps are longer on the ski mount than the ones on the aft bracket, it would fly into wind at about 45 Knots nicely (without having to remove the windshield). A few years later, I observed another pilot sling a sled in a level scenario and the windshield flew off within an eighth of a mile from departure, due to the spinning expected.

This same technique works well with lumber or drill steel too. You can use the same length of straps, just do a double choke on one end and that will change the effective length.

RH