And The Winner Is.......

Cosmo

It is realy great to see everyone on the same page about ASRD rates!!!If only the operators could agree on a rate and charge it!! Obviously this couldn't happen because I am sure some said companies would agree face to face but still lowball!!.

I know my boss brought it all up in his meeting, he was basically told he is wasting his breath by the ASRD.

Now I think ASRD could be held acountable if somthing where ever to happen, because THEY know what the running costs are yet still go for the lowballer. They are turning a blind eye to saftey while knowing they are jeprodizing it at the same time!?????? They need to get some audit's going big time!!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya thats all fine but forestry is getting around the tarrif because they tender the job out with a garentee of so many hours ,, not what our tarrifs say we have to charge per hour for someone in off the street .

the best way would be to do a rotation the companies in the area of work , it is just good business we all win and its fair for us all , why should a calgary based company go to grande prairie or fort mac or high levl or where ever to work in the snow bank , and to work in our back yard where they dont have anything invested the other 10 months of the year , re hangers , staff ,familys , etc..........

ya thats all fine but forestry is getting around the tarrif because they tender the job out with a garentee of so many hours ,, not what our tarrifs say we have to charge per hour for someone in off the street .

the best way would be to do a rotation the companies in the area of work , it is just good business we all win and its fair for us all , why should a calgary based company go to grande prairie or fort mac or high levl or where ever to work in the snow bank , and to work in our back yard where they dont have anything invested the other 10 months of the year , re hangers , staff ,familys , etc..........

That is well put, it is a two way street for sure, support all year-round, when sombody is hurt and the helivac comes into play....then we are hired...always there to support all year round and then this, AND then they say "we arn't using you because you don't have a machine at your base year round" well.....that how soon they forget that a machine has always been available every time they have asked within .5 from another base. How can we have a machine there every day year round when they bring in lowballers to do all the work in our face!!

A rotation from company to company is a very fair way to do things.

I spoke with ASRD this past summer about low ball prices. I also related to them that low prices like they are seeing can't maintain the a/c's that they are flying in. They were appreciative of my opinion but said they were responsible to take the lowest bid unless they can show an obvious safety concern.

I have worked with a number of companies in my carreer so far and have had the unpleasant experience of seeing at least three operators shorting the machines or adding to tickets. I have been told to add a .1 to every flight on one job. I refused and found myself off the job shortly. I have seen helicopters do cash jobs with nothing written in the log book when done. I have seen pencil wipped inspections and seen pilots add to the flight tickets as requested. Some times I wondered why I got into the a/c knowing these things. A lack of integrity is the death of so much. I unfortunately allowed those things to go on and although I didn't participate I didn't leave or complain. This I think is a huge issue. We can point our fingers, but where is my integrity? Do I refuse to lift something over weight because the a/c will do it? Do I fly in vis under 1/2 mile? ....... I saw the price my company put out and although I didn't talk to the owner I did talk to my direct boss and commented to him that I was sad to see how low we went. I guess I know why they can't afford to fix non flight worthy issues :(. My challenge is to stand up for the industry and the a/c I am flying and the co-workers I work with every day. Hopefully my integrity will grow.

My two cents.

Koala

Interesting tidbit hiding there. Curious to know more, is all. :rolleyes: Approximate time-frame, Bob? Do you remember?

Associated had the stupid test as well, I know I did it. It was mixed of questions/drawings/IQ test.

Just stupid and I let them know.

They would not let you know the results of the test. The test itself was sent somewhere in the States to be evaluated and the result was sent back to Edmonton at that point the "office" or whoever was deciding would let you know what your future would be with the Company go home or stay

It was 88 I think with Associated anyway before being bought out by Canadian

JD

I'm guessing that the ASRD procurement guys don't have to ride around with any of the successful bidders. There is usually a difference in which company gets the job when the boys working in the field get to hire the a/c. BC Hydro has just dictated to its workers who they will fly with as well. Low price almost always wins when a/c are hired by a procurement department.

I'm guessing that the ASRD procurement guys don't have to ride around with any of the successful bidders. There is usually a difference in which company gets the job when the boys working in the field get to hire the a/c. BC Hydro has just dictated to its workers who they will fly with as well. Low price almost always wins when a/c are hired by a procurement department.

They should adopt what the USFS does. If you under bid and it seems low. They will ask you to show them how you are making a profit. If you can't prove that you loose the bid. They want the companys to make money and they share the work between companys better. If companys are operating at loss its not in the USFS best interest also. They know corners are cut and don't want that.