Is 35 Hours Solo Realistic

How should the TC requirment for solo time change  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the new guys need isn't so much more flight time (eventhough more wouldn't hurt) as much as they need more operational training so that customers like oil companies would no longer have an excuse to request minimum hours from pilots. :D

Of course, more flight time would be great if it wasn't so darn expensive!!!!

After having been in this training industry for some time, I have yet to see anybody capable of performing a flight test at 75% of total time required. I think the total time should be higher (like the 150 in the states) but I am also in the opinion that the solo requirement is rediculus, in asking for 35 hours. I think this is a waste of monies! And the student would benefit more from the operational aspect, rather than flying circuits solo for maaannyy hours.

Hey guys,

My $0.02. ;)

I would like to see the written tests a lot more on topic with what a 100 hour pilot needs to know. And the idea that knowing 60% of the information is satisfactory isn't nearly challenging enough. Subjects like GPS navigation should be taught and no not how many **** satellites do we need etc.. How about converting d.m.s to d.m.m. Touch on the subject of datums. Review how to use the grid systems (d7J 94I12) your clients are gonna hand you on your first ever flight. How to program and use FM radios. The difference between simplex and duplex. What a guard channel is. How to repair and problem solve an aircraft refueling pump. I've spent more time talking to lower time pilots out with a client having difficulty on those subjects than on met or air law.

The more hours that new pilots log training before they get licensed the better. I would like to see the number of hours required move up to around 150 hours. More longline training and practice. More true confined areas in brushy areas teaching new pilots how to not have tail rotor strikes. It may also reduce the number of 100 hour pilots out there with no hope of ever getting a flying job.

It's unfortunate that the schools in Canada aren't as up front with their students as they should be. There are not enough jobs to go around.

Regards,

pl

although i find 35 hours a little high, it's not totally out of line.......

our students get to the level that we send them solo to ACTUAL working pads at repeater sites, confined areas in the bush ect. it is a HUGE boost of confidence!!

also, everybody that comes through the door checking out flight training is told that there are NO guarantees. it amazes me that some potential students tell me of other schools that actually tell them otherwise.....

I agree with Pitchlink on one subject, the written test needs to be overhauled with better subject matter, I disagree with the opinion that just by raising the minimum hour requirements and making student better at ops flying will reduce the number of pilots looking for work, if the jobs aren't there they aren't there no matter how good a low time pilot you are. Just by better training the job market won't suddenly improve!

As far as flight test standards go, one person who posts on this board passed his flight test with 75% of his total time, it's rare but not unusual so it can be done. This left him more 'operational' flying time. There is also a fair amount of 'interpretation' of the flight test standards from region to region. Shouldn't be but is.

The only reason the flight time should be raised to 150 if either the instructor takes a long time to teach each flight lesson (maybe by sitting on the tarmac, blades turning, burning time talking) or the student is slow or no good (and therefore should be told as much).

The 35 hours of solo time has been and will be a contentious subject, with some (not much) movement at the top of the TC training division may come some changes but, by the new draft of the Flight Training Standards, don't expect much. To believe that the requirements are rediculous and a waste of money shows that the instructor has no concept of what those hours are to be used for.

The funny thing is that with all the talk nothing really changes, pilots will still get training at one of the multitude of flight schools around the country to all various levels and all will look for that first job. Some will succeed, some will fail, that is life. If you are a pilot, enjoy what you do, if you are an instructor, do the best for your students, noone can ask any more.

For those who have read this far, remember this is only one opinion and really doesn't count for much.

Thanks

Here's an hours question for ya'll. In the Sea King world, we make aircraft captains out of guys with 500 hours total time. (About 85-B206, 300-S61, and some fixed wing).

Why does it take a bajillion hours to get the same quals in 'industry'? i.e. Multi-Engine, Heavy, IFR, offshore? The SK is all of that and more.

Guest graunch1

Does the military have more accidents that involve pilot decision making than the civvy world should be the 2nd part of that question :mellow:

Hey Genus,

When I said, "It may also reduce the number of 100 hour pilots out there with no hope of ever getting a flying job." I meant with fewer people having the finances to pay for the increased cost maybe we would have a reduction in newly licensed pilots.

Regards,

pl