Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Canadian Coast Gaurd

Its really pretty easy. I looked into it myself lately but I dont have the hours to qualify quite yet. The website is a bit of a pain to navigate through... I just got to it through google... The base in Prince Rupert is currently taking applications for one available position. Although I am faily new to the idustry I think the wages are amazing! The requirements are 3000hrs turbine time... 2000PIC. Plus long line and all the other usual stuff. Hope this helps.

The base in Rupert has been taking applications for many years. Qualified and knowledgeable pilots won't go there until one particular individual retires from there. And yes, the wages look far from amazing until you account for the other add-ons they don't mention in the posting. A friend of mine left there after five years and never made less than $115,000 a year, but is the load of politics worth it?

• 8 months later...

Best of luck there. I worked in the area in the late 1990s and loved it on the good weather days. I certainly hope the base morale improved with a few fresh bodies in the hangar.

Take a good look at this and see if you qualify...

Pension Buyback

Many folks find out too late, then it is not so great of a deal.

RH

My condolences 4961......................naaaaa, just kidding. I spent a year or two up in that part of the world. Great spot when the weather co-operates, when it does not.......well, thats why they make rain gear!.

Yes, if you have any prior gov, or military service or quasi government, ie: municipal or township work........these may have an agreement with the superannuation plan and well worth the time and money to buy back the time.....Im sure the admin girl there will point you in the right direction.

A friend of mine joined a similar federal government agency a few years ago and was able to buy into it due to 21 years of time with Canadian Helicopters as they had a locked in dedicated pension at the time. I'm not sure whether or not that will help but he said to buy in early before you get a raise as it all falls into the calculation. He said it was like winning the lottery.

A friend of mine joined a similar federal government agency a few years ago and was able to buy into it due to 21 years of time with Canadian Helicopters as they had a locked in dedicated pension at the time. I'm not sure whether or not that will help but he said to buy in early before you get a raise as it all falls into the calculation. He said it was like winning the lottery.

I totally agree with Rotorhead's last comment. There is real value to purchasing back pensioned time from another organization, I did. The biggest stumbling block was listening to co-workers advice from around the coffee table. Although most of it was well intended, there are many incorrect "ways of doing it" floating around the rumour mill in government service. Ask around, or speak to someone involved in the pay department and get the number for the pension people in Ottawa. The government has a dedicated office that deals with issues like this. You can get real answers, by phone and by e mail on what your options are. As I previously mentioned, the answers the Ottawa office gives is often very different from that of friends and co-workers. The guys/gals around the office can sound very convincing, but in truth few have actually done what you are looking to do. It is one of those things that has been talked about for so long, people have repeated the same story so many times, that they have long since accepted what they are saying as fact.....Call Ottawa, and make an informed choice.