Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Dave Williamson

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flying West

I hope there's a place, way up in the sky

Where pilots can go when they have to die.

A place where a guy could buy a cold beer

For a friend and a comrade whose memory is dear.

A place where no doctor or lawyer could tread,

Nor a management-type would e'ler be caught dead!

Just a quaint little place, kind of dark, full of smoke,

Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke.

The kind of a place that a lady could go

And feel safe and secure by the men she would know.

There must be a place where old pilots go,

When their wings become heavy, when their airspeed gets low,

Where the whiskey is old, and the women are young,

And songs about flying and dying are sung.

Where you'd see all the fellows who'd 'flown west' before,

And they'd call out your name, as you came through the door,

Who would buy you a drink, if your thirst should be bad,

And relate to the others, "He was quite a good lad!"

And there, through the mist, you'd spot an old guy

You had not seen in years, though he'd taught you to fly.

He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear

And say, "Welcome, my Son, I'm proud that you're here!

For this is the place where true flyers come

When the battles are over, and the wars have been won.

They've come here at last, to be safe and alone,

From the government clerk, and the management clone;

Politicians and lawyers, the Feds, and the noise,

Where all hours are happy, and these good ol' boys

Can relax with a cool one, and a well deserved rest!

This is Heaven, my Son. You've passed your last test!"

— Captain Michael J. Larkin

Be well my friend, I'll miss our chats.

To his family and friends......my Deepest Sincerest Condolences along with Thoughts & Prayers.

Peace

Will

Well Cap could tell a story, and had one for almost every occasion! Would call BS once in a while, but in reality, you were never really sure... :o

Annoying to some, respected by many.

Truly a great one gone with the others.

Rest in peace Cap, enjoy the moments now spent in "catching up" with those who were waiting for you. You will be missed - the 'peg won't quite be the same...

Thanks for the advice, stories and support over the years.

Keith W

I just wanted to pass along the following:

Dave's funeral will be held this Thursday, Oct 8th, 1009 at 10:00 a.m. at Chapel Lawn Memorial Gardens, 4000 Portage Ave, Winnipeg, Manitoba. Internment and a reception will follow the service. The family asks that if you aren't able to attend, in lieu of flowers, donations can be made to CancerCare Manitoba or the St. Boniface Hospital & Research Foundation in Dave's memory.

You all are so wonderful for sharing thoughts, prayers, poems, photos, tributes and remembrances and I know the Williamson family appreciates it very much. It really helps to get through this difficult and sorrowful time and the stories from when Dave was away working and flying are truly cherished for as you know, those are the times that heli families miss out on.

'Til next, Cap! ;)

Take good care, all.

Oy! Couldn't fix it; ran out of edit time. My apologies for typo on year, though I can hear him laughing with some Captain Smartypants thing to say about it. *Sigh*

Way ta go cuz, he's gaphahing on that one.

A thanks to all of those for your messages, they will all be passed along to the family, please keep them coming.

We will miss you cap, a dram in your honour :up:

Guest Bullet Remington

TQN:

Thanks for posting the details on Dave's service. Would whom ever attends please let me/us know how it went?

I won't be attending. I can't. TQN you recall how you would try and get Dave to go visit the wall? And he would refuse to go. A lot of folks can't understand why some of us old guys don't do Rememberanc Day nor Memorial visits. It's the same reason that Dave didn't go to the Wall. He didn't because he couldn't. To do so would acknowledge the finality and the acceptance of the fate of his comrades. Same reason some of us don't do the Rememberance Day thing - We prefer to not share the sorrow.

In Dave's case he didn't and he won't have to. Right now he's spending time with all the other boys he served with in SEA. They're all have a couple of cool Canadians, and having a great old time! They're all young, feeling no pain and like greyhounds! ( All dick and bone!!) Just the way Cap remembered his buddies, and just like he was when we were young! Things are good again for Dave.

For those of us left, we remain wondering and missing out friend. Dave had a great life, a great family and great friends, because HE was and always will be a great friend. He was a great pilot, soldier, father, husband and friend. And as close as I've ever gotten to a genuine hero.

But, like Dave refusing to go to the Wall and accept the finality of that action, I can't go to Winnipeg. He will always be around laughing at my attempts to get down the God awful Scotch and laughing at my choice of drinks!!

I'll miss ya Dave!! You'll always be THE Captain! And I'll make one last God damned attemt to drink a glass of that rot gut you loved to sip on, just for you, Buddy!!, Just for you!