Sucks To Get Older - Where Did I Put My Glasses?

I found that trifocal progressives were a) expensive and B) made my neck hurt when I had to keep moving my head up and down to read anything with the bottom part of the lens. As it happens, I only need them for reading, but as I'm too lazy to keep reaching into my pocket I settled on bifocals (that I wear permanently) adjusted for the instruments, but I spent some time to ensure that the line across the lens coincided with the top of the instrument panel (on the 212). For some reason the specs for bifocals from the CAA (in UK) seem to like the smallest possible area under the line, which is now further down, but this brings in the same head movement problems mentioned above. Go figure.

This means that I need two pairs, one for flying and one for reading, but it works fine for me.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my other life, (non flying) I can get by with the Wal Mart specials for all the reading and computer stuff, (though the spell check in them doesn't work too good... rolleyes: )

My distance was still pretty good so I needed 2 things - sunglasses and the ability to read the panel, maps, etc.

I got the 'transient lens' with small correction in the top part of the lens, and a reading lens as low as possible in the lens for the rest. For the most part, I can look over the top of the reading lens for everything, yet use the lower part when required.

Overhead panel requires the great head tilt back, hand on the glasses to lift them up, so that I can then read through the lower lens...

Wonder why my neck hurts...?

Guest Bullet Remington

I have kinda the same problem. i HAVE to use 1.50 bi-focals to see anything up close. Distance wise I can see an Eagle's arse in a power dive 5 miles away! I have about 8 pairs. Most expensive pair was $9.00 USD. For crawling around under a about a machine, I have a couple of pairs that are bi-focal, top and bottom but clear in the centre: for reading i have several pair that are bi-focal on the bottom. I have 3 pairs of sunglasses, all bi-focal.

I ordered mine from US Safety Glasses in Texas. Before you order, go out to a drug store and try a couple of pairs of those garbage one they sell for $25.00 bucks! Make sure you try a pair that works for the distance you NORMALLY expect to use them, and remember the stronger the magnification, the closer the object you want to focus on has to be!! For me 1.50 works nicely.

If you do order them from US Safety Glasses, as k them to send them post, otherwise they will soak you about $65.00 to air friegt them up here!!

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf3.html

Here's the link, they have all kinds of em!!

Good Luck!!

Overhead panel requires the great head tilt back, hand on the glasses to lift them up, so that I can then read through the lower lens...

Wonder why my neck hurts...?

I have a pair with reading focus on the top and bottom of the lens. So I can read the overhead panel without falling over backwards. Bottom lens works for the instruments and the middle for everything else.

I am having the same issue, can see the stripes on a bee a hundred yards out, but can't see what breaker is what on the overhead. Bought a pair of progressive glasses and wasted 500 bucks made everything distorted and made me feel sick. Maybe the bifocal top and bottom reading lens with clear in the middle is the answer. Either way it is gonna be expensive.

Pal

Ah, This is the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

Any chance you can PM me with the name of your optometrist, I'd like to talk to him and see if he would be willing to engage my local guy into a conversation.

And you're right older is good, make new friends every day, and plan on hiding my own Easter Eggs in 2010 ....

Thanks for the note ..

Sorry, Kootenay, I outlasted him, and they buried him in Canmore a couple of years back. Now, I'm developing cataracts and they're pulling my vision back to what it used to be - temporarily, of course.

All I can suggest is to shop around, and search diligently for one who's a pilot.

Best of luck.

Guest Bullet Remington
I am having the same issue, can see the stripes on a bee a hundred yards out, but can't see what breaker is what on the overhead. Bought a pair of progressive glasses and wasted 500 bucks made everything distorted and made me feel sick. Maybe the bifocal top and bottom reading lens with clear in the middle is the answer. Either way it is gonna be expensive.

Pal

Check the link I posted above: Click safety Glasses then click Bi-Focal, list all, down the centre of the page ;

Olympic (30-06) Dual segment Bi- Focal Safety Glasses with clear klenses = $ 12.20 USD