Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Long Line

Guest bag swinnger

Guest bag swinnger

Whithout stirring up the old synthectic verses steel debate again, Has any one ever re threaded the style of synthetic line that has the power cable going through the middle, and if so how hard was it, I am wondering if its gonna be like one of those chinese finger traps? or is there a trick or two out there for this? :rolleyes:

Usually there are 4 wires running inside, did you check the others? I have yet to see someone change the cable. However I have seen many longlines with another cable zip tied and duct taped to the side of the line, doesn't look that pretty but it does the job. I remember we used switchboard wire once when we were in a jam up north. We doubbled up the swithboard wire on each side just in case. Worked great for the following 3 days.

I have re wrapped a couple of these lines and yes they are a chore. The trick is to pull the line tight. Attach one end to a post or solid object and then attach the other end to a pick up. Pull it until there is tension. Its much easier than having 100ft of line coiled at your feet. When you have unwrapped the line pull all of your cables to an even length and then attach to the kevlar line with ELECTRICAL TAPE. DO NOT USE TIE WRAPS. The tie wraps will slowly cut the line where it is wrapped. Trust me on this one. Once all of your lines are attached you can re wrap it starting at the remote hook end. This way if the cover slides at all it will keep the business end protected from trees and other obsticles. Its no easy task and it does take a while but these few tips make it a little quicker. Good luck.

Have not rethreading the wire up center. Have talked to some who have just sent back to manufacturer. The wire used in this is usually coiled like a spring up center as well. My opinion on this type is it is a pain in the butt, just run the line up beside like any other. I have one line with spriral rap and do not like it either as is hard on the wires. If you try and find some tricks please advise.

sc

Hey BS ;)

Would have to agree with Skullcap. Probably not recommended to fix yourself. I would suggest returning it to the manufacturer, I have run both lines on bags and drills for many years. Most of the lines with internal wiring that I have run failed, due to initial stretch. Consequently we either returned the line to the manufacturer or removed the internal wiring and ran a extension cord up the line. I realize this may not work with multi-function carousels due to lack of wiring options. Additionally there my be liability issues trying to repair it yourself. (i.e. company repaired longline leaves drill or logging staging and is used on a construction job. The line has a dynamic failure and your Air Conditioning unit is know sitting on the 26th floor of a 40 story building. There might be some questions during the investigation. :( ).

Just my humble opinion.

Cheers,

BDVI ;)

Ours all have the cables bound on the outside, and then a canvas cover velcro'd in place to protect the lot, all the way down the line. Helps keep dust, dirt, UV, etc off the kevlar/synthetic: early ones were blue covers, but we now use red. The blue tends to disappear in the mirror :rolleyes:

Guest bag swinnger

Thanks for the replies guy's, and roger that BD6.

I am still trying to figure out how they get the power cord in the center in the first place its kinda like the caramilk secret.

cheers. :up: