Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Wow

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest plumber
I have nothing to do with this incident but am quite astounded that anyone would get a "big chuckle" out of it. Obviously neither Zazu or Kilomike have never had to sit up at night worried if someone is alright.

A big thanks goes out to the SAR crews and the charter helicopter guys who were sent looking.

The lesson here should be that the pilot missing should have turned on his elt when overdue and let the satelite do the tracking and help the SAR crews pin point him. It is NOT a requirement to have the AFF or satphone but IS a requirement to turn on your elt when overdue.

I think it is sad that the pilot did not know the rules and probably could have contacted a SAR ship on 121.5

I think it is sad that people find it amusing.

It would be interesting to know if the pilot had a 406/121.5 elt in his ship.

Well said scully.

We all make mistakes its nice too see when we do there's people waiting to roll on the ground laughing at you.

Nevermind the ELT and broadcasting on 121.5, it would have saved a pile of grief and money if the pilot had just relayed through a high flying fixed wing on 126.7. Been there done that myself, no shame in it and you'd be surprised how many other aircraft will answer you if you ask to forward a message.

I was working in the ADIS area north of Baker Lake. I was slinging and planned my trip at an average speed of 50 knots. My load wouldn't go more than 30. Needless to say I was in need of contacting FSS and letting them know. It was about 11pm and I couldn't reach anyone. No Sat phone, no skytrac and no comms. I slowly climbed to 7000' before I finally got the closest airport to relay. I was about 5 mins from the herc's lifting off. It was good to know that they were ready, but it was frustating that I couldn't reach anyone on 126.7. Must have been the time of day. Always nice to have a Sat phone when you are that far north.

Koala

I have flown the area and live in the area just to the south and have used 126.7 a couple of times (with them and another ). I also know the company and the pilot that was involved, sad to say they the company is justifiy'n it all by saying cost cutting, and the pilot well, "Let's just say's we all can learn from this". As for the company this is not the first time nor will it be the last, they are neglectful and arrogant. Been there worked for them will not fly with them or even recommend them to fly 5hit. Cause they DON'T CARE it is all about them and only them ( and all about how much they can put in their pockets )

And Skullcap Plumber Helilog56 Yep yer right this 5ucz for those of us who do care

I know it's pretty dumb, and expensive to the taxpayers but since everything turned out all right I got a pretty good chuckle out of it I have to admit. Actually it was more of a LMAO LOL!

Zazu your pretty arrogant hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, are you part of??????????????

recent CADORS I came across......I took out the name of the company........but hearing things like this really piss me off.

Bell B206 Overdue (594875N 1253661W - North of Muncho Lake). BLANK Helicopters reported an overdue long ranger C-%&*# from Muncho Lake Camp to a drill site approximately 48 miles northeast. The Buffalo, Cormorant, and two charter helicopters were tasked. C-@$%& landed safely the next morning after spending the night out due to weather and nightfall. The critical factors were entered. A total of 17.7 hrs were flown by all aircraft involved. C-@#%& was equipped with flight tracking and a satellite phone; however, both devices were turned off as a cost saving measure. The company owner was very apologetic.

so being apologetic is acceptable because we're in a recession? :o :lock:

Give credit where credit is due.

Just to clarify... and ensure that other companies are not blamed.

Quote:

Interior Helicopters Bell B206 (C-GWCR) Overdue (594875N 1253661W - North of Muncho Lake). Interior Helicopters reported an overdue long ranger C-GWCR from Muncho Lake Camp to a drill site approximately 48 miles northeast. The Buffalo, Cormorant, and two charter helicopters were tasked. C-GWCR landed safely the next morning after spending the night out due to weather and nightfall. The critical factors were entered. A total of 17.7 hrs were flown by all aircraft involved. C-GWCR was equipped with flight tracking and a satellite phone; however, both devices were turned off as a cost saving measure. The company owner was very apologetic.

Give credit where credit is due.

Just to clarify... and ensure that other companies are not blamed.

Quote:

Interior Helicopters Bell B206 (C-GWCR) Overdue (594875N 1253661W - North of Muncho Lake). Interior Helicopters reported an overdue long ranger C-GWCR from Muncho Lake Camp to a drill site approximately 48 miles northeast. The Buffalo, Cormorant, and two charter helicopters were tasked. C-GWCR landed safely the next morning after spending the night out due to weather and nightfall. The critical factors were entered. A total of 17.7 hrs were flown by all aircraft involved. C-GWCR was equipped with flight tracking and a satellite phone; however, both devices were turned off as a cost saving measure. The company owner was very apologetic.

:up:

Okay okay, all...here it is.

I was not referring to the plight of the pilot in particular...I was not there. Good on him for parking rather than pushing. I have a few times found myself close to the same situation but as of yet been lucky to get out. I also was not refering to the plight of the ops manager who was up all night waiting, nor was I laughing at the expensive efforts of our SAR crews.

What I was laughing at was the irony of having all this top of the line equipment placed in a machine as a requirement of alot of our clients and in this case was turned off due to cost cutting (which also include machine rates and crew wages).

So ya, while alot of us are sitting around wondering what's going to happen next, I found a little sick ironic humour in it. All I had to do was put myself in the pilot''s position, out in the dark, with a frozen machine, looking at my client and trying to tell him why none of these fancy buttons work. I'm sure as the years go by it will make for one of those infamous "SO THERE I WAS..." type of stories.

The pilot probably learned something, Skully made some very good operational points/reminders, and I found some humour in a rather crappy situation.

Years ago, I stopped taking myself too seriously...my blood pressure dropped, I liked my job more than ever, I learned to LongLine better, my wife liked me more...and when the day was done, and nobody got hurt, I found a little laugh here and there made things a little easier to handle. Lighten Up!

This falls in the pilots lap, not the owner, if you are going to be late let someone know. Yes, a sat phone is nice. but come on, don't put this on the operator, the pilot has to ensure flight planning is followed.

In the "old days" all we had was a radio, no cool phones or tracking system.

rob