Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bell407 Vs 350b2

pilot5

Hello

I know the subject of the 407 vs the 350B2 has come up before.

Interested in knowing from those who operate either, the deal with engine overhaul and general running costs.

Hearing mixed views on engine overhaul costs.. can anyone with practical experience provide some insight?

The purchase cost of the 407 is more at prices from 1.8m to 2.5 million. So is this additional cost worth it?

Thanks a bunch

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great question. B2 is analog so relatively cheaper. To compete with the 407, you'd have to go up to a B3. I'm sure you'll get lots of input here, but you should go with the helicopter that fits your mission profile, always budget for the worst and hope for the best.

Good Luck

Great question. B2 is analog so relatively cheaper. To compete with the 407, you'd have to go up to a B3. I'm sure you'll get lots of input here, but you should go with the helicopter that fits your mission profile, always budget for the worst and hope for the best.

Good Luck

What I hear is rebuilding or doing engine work on the Ariel can be a big cost surprise! This is not good. On the other hand Allison seems to be a little more cost known. Correct me if I am wrong!

Thanks for the input!

''What I hear is rebuilding or doing engine work on the Ariel can be a big cost surprise! This is not good. On the other hand Allison seems to be a little more cost known. Correct me if I am wrong!''

Any engine is going to cost you dollars, yes the Turbomeca engines can be pricy, but I am sure the C47 is not that cheap to overhaul, no idea of cost! Software updates for the FADEC are expensive, so that is a consideration.

For comparison, the FX2 will out perform the 407 and is cheaper to buy and operate, if that is all your looking for. Apples to apples the B3 is FADEC controlled like the 407, therefore a more realistic comparison vs a B2.

''What I hear is rebuilding or doing engine work on the Ariel can be a big cost surprise! This is not good. On the other hand Allison seems to be a little more cost known. Correct me if I am wrong!''

Any engine is going to cost you dollars, yes the Turbomeca engines can be pricy, but I am sure the C47 is not that cheap to overhaul, no idea of cost! Software updates for the FADEC are expensive, so that is a consideration.

For comparison, the FX2 will out perform the 407 and is cheaper to buy and operate, if that is all your looking for. Apples to apples the B3 is FADEC controlled like the 407, therefore a more realistic comparison vs a B2.

So for high and hot the FX2 will do the same job as a 407?. Anybody working a FX2 in the Rockies, on fires?I would sure appreciate any feedback.

What I did notice about the B2 is that over 5000' at high temps it's a dud. Does the FX2 come

with duel hydraulic system like the B3?

Thanks for the input!

The Lycoming powered FX2/SD2 will outperform a B2 at altitude and will have a lower DOC. As both are STC'D B2's they are not available with the dual hydraulics. Only the B3 has this option as of yet. The B3 and the 407 are more comparable in terms of performance and technology, but I'd wager the B3 would outperform; but I am a little biased. ;)

The Lycoming powered FX2/SD2 will outperform a B2 at altitude and will have a lower DOC. As both are STC'D B2's they are not available with the dual hydraulics. Only the B3 has this option as of yet. The B3 and the 407 are more comparable in terms of performance and technology, but I'd wager the B3 would outperform; but I am a little biased. ;)

Thanks for the info DOM. We looked at the B3 but considering the bargain basement rates these days we cannot justify the extra $500K+ for the B3.

The likely outcome will be the 407.

Thanks for all the information.

I love the 407 but I definitely wouldn’t describe it as a performer in hot and moderate altitudes let alone hot and high altitudes.

I was flying the 407 on fires out of Castlegar a couple of summers ago and bucketing for a crew at 5500 feet and 32 degrees C. . The scenario I was in had me approaching the water drop with an M.G.T. just below the 5 minute take-off rating of 779 degrees and a tq of 76%. i.e I had 24% tq. remaining before reaching the take-off limit but couldn't use it due to the temp limits.

This machine had a so-so engine at the time (only +12) so that was definitely a factor. I have been told that a more typical 407 power check result would be somewhere between +30 and +40 (maybe someone can confirm/deny this for me?). Anyway, it’s a sweet machine to longline from and a total champ in the colder weather but not what you are looking for if it’s hot and high places you plan to visit. This has been my experience with it.

Hope this helps.

Ben

p.s. I flew the FX2 last winter and it was a stump puller. I haven't flown it in the summer but I would imagine it would easily out-perform a 407.