Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bell407 Vs 350b2

pilot5

The L-4 is a great aircraft....flew them in Mexico for about 3 years and at D.A.'s of 10,000' +. My suggestion would be do "not" go for the high altitude t/r kit.....totally not required, will help keep the DOC costs in line.

A very underated intermediate a/c in my books.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi All

Interesting topic , not too sure if any of you guys know that Eagle Copters has aquired the Us Army`s 407 including the Honeywell HTS900 engine and are working on the blueprints to reconfigure the Airframe back to Civilian standard.

Would be quiet the performer I recon , the 407 with the C47 is a nice platform - we had them in New Guinea - but as mentioned not enough Temp. margins under hot and high conditions.

407 versus B2 - I do believe the FX2 /SD2 are an equal performer with higher performance margins over the Arriel powered B2.

Cheers

Somewhere back in my " CANCELLED" files.................ah yeah, here it is..........

It's the civilian Bell 417 helicopter with the HTS 900 engine,

(970 hp as opposed to Bell 407's 700shp).

****, that would have been a nice ride !!

Bad monkey.....go to the penalty box....!!!??? :rolleyes:

The L-4 is a great aircraft....flew them in Mexico for about 3 years and at D.A.'s of 10,000' +. My suggestion would be do "not" go for the high altitude t/r kit.....totally not required, will help keep the DOC costs in line.

A very underated intermediate a/c in my books.

Helilog,

I agree with the "underrated" comment on the L-4. We have one with H.a. Tailrotor and one without. H.A. one just a little easier to deal with up high oge ie: hovering during game counts, filming etc.(once you are used to the pedal forces)- you don't need to be so careful with the wind direction. Also costs lots more initially, blades go 5000 hours TBX instead of 2500. Works good for heliskiing as well.

Nice once you are used to it.

B.M.

The 2b1 engine in the B3/B4 is getting more popular and your choices for o/h shops are expanding. As for the 1D1 engine, they are cleaner and more reliable now than the 250 series will ever be. This first o/h shouldn't be that expensive, I don't think it's $500,000 probably in the 200 to 300k range./quote]

200k to 300k for an overhaul is "not that expensive"???? Dude, you can buy a zero timed "Gold" LTS 101-700-D2 direct from Honeywell for 300k, and there are no overhauls, just 1800hrs inspections. Our last one cost us $80k at an engine shop. This is for an engine that easily outperforms the 1D1 and has a lower fuel burn.

You want great hot & high performance for cheap, the FX2/SD2 is your answer!

Just a note, the Astar component overhaul times are about to receive an increase. The inspections intervals are also being extended. This should help bring down the hourly cost. Agreed that the TM engine can be very expensive, but what isn't these days.

Will the component TBO extensions apply to non TM engined helicopters ?.

I may be wrong but as i recall the maintenence reserve for all the mechanical components is way below that of the engine.

I assume it will be an ammendment to the limitations section of the MM.

Will the component TBO extensions apply to non TM engined helicopters ?.

I may be wrong but as i recall the maintenence reserve for all the mechanical components is way below that of the engine.

I assume it will be an ammendment to the limitations section of the MM.

The increase in TBO will show up in the Maintenance Program so it will be applicable to both TM and LTS powered machines. Just to note, when overhauling components on your FX2, those components are no longer applicable to other aircraft. From what I understand, they can only be fitted to another FX2. It's a long story, but very important if you are considering an FX2 over an SD2.

Just to note, when overhauling components on your FX2, those components are no longer applicable to other aircraft. From what I understand, they can only be fitted to another FX2. It's a long story, but very important if you are considering an FX2 over an SD2./quote]

The tail rotor gearbox is the only component affected by the FX2 conversion. It adopts the AS355N/B3 limitations. Eurocopter will not exchange FX components with non FX components but they will overhaul them just the same.