Sign in to follow this  
pilot5

Bell407 Vs 350b2

I don't like the EOS switch because it does exactly what WTF said. Not to mention it's on the panel. I just have nightmares of "Brainfartitus" that's all. A better position in my opinion would be up on the dash somewhere like where the ELT switch is...top right hand side. Or maybe a guard/cover

WTF Was that, your post from yesterday I think is misleading and should be clarified.

1- What Heli-Lynx does with the B2 Tail rotor gear box is exactly what Eurocopter does with it also. They bolt the gearbox on a 355N or AS350B3, put the wide chord tail rotor on it and reduce the life of the gearset from 20000 hrs to 2700 hrs (I don't have the MSR in front of me but I think those numbers are accurate). Where do you think Heli-Lynx got the idea from in the first place??? If Eurocopter can do it, why can't Heli-Lynx??

2-The only reason the FX2 requires an Anti-Ice valve is because the original Canadian type certificate for the LTS 101 requires the anti-ice valve. I could be mistaken but I think all LTS-101's on Astars require the anti-ice but no-one uses them. The Soloy mod is exempt from this because it received approval from TC without it. TC realized their mistake afterwards and made sure not to repeat it when the Heli-Lynx STC landed on their desk. The anti-ice valve was forced on the FX mod by Transport Canada.

3- You'll be surprised in the not too distant future how closely Eurocopter is willing to work with Heli-Lynx. "The manufacturer wants nothing to do with it...." is not an accurate statement.

4- Our experience with the B2 and FX2 is plain and simple: when you add factors like performance, costs and reliability, the FX2 blows the doors off a B2 anywhere above 5000ft. And this is flying by the numbers.

1- What Heli-Lynx does with the B2 Tail rotor gear box is exactly what Eurocopter does with it also. They bolt the gearbox on a 355N or AS350B3, put the wide chord tail rotor on it and reduce the life of the gearset from 20000 hrs to 2700 hrs (I don't have the MSR in front of me but I think those numbers are accurate). Where do you think Heli-Lynx got the idea from in the first place??? If Eurocopter can do it, why can't Heli-Lynx??

One correction

The B3 & the 355N do not have the same TRGB

The N uses the same gearbox as the B2 (-05) with reduced SLL on gearset & overhaul times

the 20000 hour life is for a BA the B2 is 4700 hrs, and yes the N is 2700

The B3 uses a -06, or if the dual hydraulics are installed a -07 ( the same gearbox on the 355NP)

On the topic of the L4 with a high altitude tailrotor...

Make sure you fly one before you buy one, because I absolutely hate the 50lb pedals. If it had boosted pedals, it would be nice. As it is though, it's seriously screwed up.

Our L4 with HA tr isn't even in the same race as our 407's performance wise... The L4 is a heavy pig and has 800lbs less allowable gross weight than the 407 and 1450lbs less external. Maybe you could gut it out, ours weighs a whopping 2650 lbs. I only fly them, but from my experience you can't do the same type of work with the two aircraft.

Sure, the 407 is temperature limited at high density altitudes, but that is limiting you down from loads that are far above what the L4 could lift anyway. Whatever load you could do in the longranger at altitudes, you could do easier in the 407. Another thing to consider is cruise speed, the 407 is extremely fast.

Now, for Astars, I have only worked the B2's and they are a great machine. But, there is one less seatbelt in an Astar which can make a difference for some types of work and honestly, the B2 will not perform like a 407.

This is just coming from the perspective of a pilot though. I have nothing to offer about operating costs. But, if I was going to buy a machine that has great profit margins and excellent performance at all altitudes it would be a Bell 205 A1++. Just chase fires all summer and park it in the winter. Good old dumptrucks.

Totally agree with jetb...on all points...the L4 that I fly weighs exactly the same and it has nothing special added...it will lift a good load but the 407 will put it to shame anytime...love flying and working the 407 :P;)

You guys that can't fly an L-4 need a wake-up call. This is the best money making helicopter that has ever been made. As for the heavy pedals on the high altitude tailrotor, have you ever tried backing the friction off- there is quite a range according to the Bell M.M. If you have feet like a ballet dancer, maybe this isn't the machine for you. If you can kick start a 850 Norton Commando, this could be your machine. (our L-4 with H.A. tailrotor weighs 2550 lbs which includes survival kit, tool kits, and all hat rack accessories)

The 2 bladed systems work better at altitude than a bunch of little skinny blades- I agree the 407 and b2 work better low elevation but nothing works better than an L-4 up high in this class. (you even have a baggage compartment without a gas tank in it and don't need a basket most of the time- save 100 more lbs) Lots of spare TOT, never temps out, good on fuel burn- 2.7 hours at cruise ,3.0 hours recee's on fires. (costs customer less too)

Also I wonder why there is so many 407's for sale if they are so good?? Go to VIH Prince George and see what machines are parked most of the time- not too many LongRangers there, just 407's and Astars.

But what would we know, we have only been operating 2 blade systems along side the highest mountain in B.C. for 33 years

B.

L4 long buggy as a money maker, yep i would totally agree with that, having to make 2 trips for one astar/407 trip. and flying slower, nothing but money. Getting scarred stupid in LTE when attempting to land down wind. Priceless....

In the last 33yrs their have been amazing technological advancements in many fields. Amazingly helicopters have been one of them.

As for a 2 bladed systems at altitude, i think an astar landed at 29000' and has climbed to 44000'.

L4 long buggy as a money maker, yep i would totally agree with that, having to make 2 trips for one astar/407 trip. and flying slower, nothing but money. Getting scarred stupid in LTE when attempting to land down wind. Priceless....

In the last 33yrs their have been amazing technological advancements in many fields. Amazingly helicopters have been one of them.

As for a 2 bladed systems at altitude, i think an astar landed at 29000' and has climbed to 44000'.

WTF,

Yes, we should all have B3's and all will be good- probably won't even need much for flying lessons anymore because you can do whatever you want with horsepower, mountain courses will be a thing of the past.

As for 33 years of technology, I think Astars were invented in the early 1980's weren't they?

Have a great day.

B.