Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Aeroplane Ground School Vses Helicopter Ground School

cherminator

Hello Everyone,

Where I live (in Canada) the closest helicopter ground school is very expensive, but the local fixed wing ground school is very reasonable. I'm trying to get my costs down so I can afford to get my PPL Helicopter license, so my question is, are the two ground schools basically the same? If I do the fixed wing one, does it count towards my PPL helicopter license? If it is a little different, can I do the fixed wing one then just learn the stuff specific to a helicopter myself?

My other question is, can I do my ground school online somewhere or self-teach with textbooks at home?

I'm really looking forward to your responses.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cherminator,

A fixed wing ground school course will provide with MOST of the knowledge but not all. The Navigation, Meteorology will be the same however some of the Air Law will be slightly different as well as theory of flight and aircraft systems. You will have to study those last two topics either on your own or with some help. In my experience teaching, helicopter theory of flight can be a bit of a struggle if you're just reading out of a book but that's not to say it cannot be done.

I don't know of any on-line programs right now but someone else may be able to help you out there. Regardless you have to have your Pilot Training Record (training logbook) show that you have completed at least 40 hours on ground instruction and I'm not sure what the regulations say about on-line self paced learning.

If you get your fixed-wing private licence first the written exam is an abbreviated version (no nav or met sections) and focuses mainly on the helicopter subjects. As a piece of advice however although it looks cheaper on paper to get your fixed wing licence first because you will require less hours in the helicopter, it is almost impossible to teach someone to fly a helicopter in the minimum time required so you will most likely spend more money in the long run. If you want to fly helicopters, start with helicopters. That is if you plan on doing more than just the FW ground school first. Feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

Cheers.

Thank you for your response Jam.

Just to be a little more clear, I have no interest in getting my fixed wing license, or reducing my helicopter flight hours. I'm just trying to find a more affordable ground school option as where I live the helicopter ground school is, believe it or not, over 50x the cost of fixed wing ground school.

It's different!

Check out the study and reference guides.

Fixed wing http://shop.tc.gc.ca/TChtml/ibeCCtpItmDspR...&item=48429

Helicopter http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/publicat...tp2476/menu.htm

Its not just the content that is different its also the context.

You get what you pay for, no matter what you are buying!

Rob

You get what you pay for, no matter what you are buying!

Ok, well the local helicopter school's ground school is still 20x the price of other helicopter ground schools that I've looked into, and even if it is worth that much more, I cannot afford it.

So does anyone know of an accredited distance learning or online helicopter ground school course?

Wow 20x, I know most in southern BC are 800 - 1000$. that covers a min of 80 hours, required by TC. I can't think of any schools charging much less, and don't think they could run a propper GS for any less. I don't think there are any online GS's for helicopter approved in canada, I looked into putting one together, but costs were too high for the number of potential students.

I don't see how the cost could be 20x, at an average of $1000 that would mean you have found some for fifty bucks or your local school is asking $20,000. You will have to be more clear on the prices you have found in order for anyone to help you on your quest.

good luck

rob

Yes, the local school wants over $20,000. for ground school. It's probably because it's one-on one training, they're a very elite school, and they don't normally do much ab initio training.

Ummm....why not by a plane ticket and travel to the west coast, where the training is "optimal" at a reasonable cost ????? :)