Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Quasar Helicopters

old

That sure is a sexy looking machine did Quasar buy it new?

I don't care what anyone says the 214 is easily the nicest machine bell ever made

Full fuel + 10 people and you get off at 70% maybe 75% torque

sure had some teething issues but they eventually got them all worked out

too bad they don't build them anymore

Ran into a fellow one day that worked for Bow when they bought their first 214 flew it back from Texas had some pretty impressive tales I wish I could remember his name

DSL

I like the second cockpit picture which I assume is a 205. Little hard to tell with all the add-ons ;)

ADF, HF/SSB, DF Homer, A couple GNS 500 indicators etc. all scabbed into and alongside the pedestal. Reminds one that avionics has not only improved but more can be done with smaller boxes and modern displays.

I doubt if this little package would make thru TC today B) . I remember working on the same type of HF in the 206 where it was mounted upside down or sideways behind the inst panel. Ugh!

MQN while on a Polar Shelf contract (Ceasar Project) Waaaaaaaaaay north ... 300nm north of Alert on Ellesmere Island on the ice cap... GPS was NOT available back then... 1983... we had a big box called a GNS 500 for navigation... when it worked.

That sure is a sexy looking machine did Quasar buy it new?

I don't care what anyone says the 214 is easily the nicest machine bell ever made

Full fuel + 10 people and you get off at 70% maybe 75% torque

sure had some teething issues but they eventually got them all worked out

too bad they don't build them anymore

Ran into a fellow one day that worked for Bow when they bought their first 214 flew it back from Texas had some pretty impressive tales I wish I could remember his name

DSL

STQ was the first 214ST in Canada... followed by 2 for Okie. Bell gave Quasar's Dan Dunn a super deal that was a lease I believe.

MQN while on a Polar Shelf contract (Ceasar Project) Waaaaaaaaaay north ... 300nm north of Alert on Ellesmere Island on the ice cap... GPS was NOT available back then... 1983... we had a big box called a GNS 500 for navigation... when it worked.

Yeah I know the GNS 500 pretty good, also the 200 and the first one built that I installed in an Electra back in 1970 to see if it would work in the Arctic- best signals in the world up there. VLF/Omega was the answer prior to GPS for anyone flying up north-just had some precip static problems in dry snow (don't know where you find any of that in the Arctic :) )

Biggest a/c I put one in was a 737-smallest an Aztec. Worked really good in the Electras- the farthest north I went with them was Ammund Ringes Island so still a few klicks from the other side of the world but could see it in the distance (probably 700 miles SW from where you were) Worked good in them but htey didn't shake as much as a RW.

Didn't Bell have to repo it from Inuvik or Tuk (unserviceable to boot) in the middle of winter when the payments got a little too far behind?

I remember one sitting over by the old United hangar in Calgary for quite a while probably 1986-ish time frame don't know whose it was. Can't recall any other details on it but this was long before Eagle had those buildings.

A few month ago i saw photo of a 212 loaded with piece of wood like 6x6x12 pile in a the cabin from flor to roof front of the transmission box exiding each side almost 2ft.

I think it was during the beaufort exploration

Maybe you saw it!

I lost the link to this photo!

If you have it let me know

Guy

P.s:I think that it was the same site where we saw the 107 pulling the hovercraft sled