Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ideas/ Suggestions

Hey there all, been awfully quiet in here (and out there). How about some suggestions on what way, or with whom would be the best way to get into this field.

Let's say for example this unamed individual has around 3500 hours in astars and jetboxes. Loves to longline, has about 550 hrs line time and has done some production seismic work. All mountain time, oh yeah, and has always wanted to get into the logging side of things.

Any ideas??

RM :)

Start hauling chokers and riggers for Helifor, Coulson, Hayes, VIH or Erickson/Canadian Aircrane. Or if you want to sandbag give Transwest, Black Tusk or East West a call.

Don't be in a rush though...it is always easier to go forward than to go back! Don't sell yourself short of some other great flying experiences in your career first!

Best of luck!

Don't even listen to VERTICAL REF. Go to the BIG HQ and start logging. It's a no brainer.

Oh yea......VERTICAL REF, please tell me which direction HARD is. Maybe it's because i'm a low timer but i can't quite figure that one out. I think if it said....The wind only blows one way in the Sierra Madres, and thats hard. That makes a little more sense to me.

One more thing..... what is the max load on the K-Max??????????? :shock:

VX

P.S. quit calling me a fag!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Vertical X, HQ, is that Heli quest? One would need a medium endorsement for that right?

As for the first reply from Vertical Ref, Helifor seems the better way I would guess. Going from choker and hill puke haulin to the big iron is a **** of a jump. I know of a few guys who've done it but they are "lucky" individuals.

Going the way of the medium and seismic would make for a slower but progressive climb on and up to the heavey's. But then there is that coveted Kmax beast. Incidently I think it's rated for 6000 pounds but aparently it'll do a bit better depending. Any other ideas?

Any fires out there??

Hey there rainmain....if you have the time you say...are good with a line and have the mountain time don't sweat the no medium time...if they need drivers you are sure to get a call and that someone will supply the endorsement...I have seen a lot of guys with a lot less time and experience slide into the driver seat of a medium and go loggin and when they had troubles....well give them a Kmax check out...and they did just that....next picture was the blades of a Kmax parked in the cab of a fuel truck on the side of a mountain....this guy just had bad luck...which eventually ran out.I would think with a bit of solid training from a "good" company you will be off to the races in short order...the thing is why logging...you better have a strong stomach...it is hard on the system...from the guys I know...as far as the Kmax...it is rated for 6000 on the hook....have heard of guys hauling 7000..no sweat...the factory guys told us that the hook was tested to 60,000 lbs before it broke....not sure if that was bolted on to the aircraft though....best plan is stick to the published numbers...and happy motoring.... :rolleyes: :up:

DGP- To answer the Question "why logging?" I guess it is just the thing that I've always wanted to do. I worked in the forest industry before flying and was fascinated by the heli-logging. Then upon getting a bunch of line time slinging bags, drills, Hydro poles around in the astar, I was that much more keen on it.

Some guys want to do EMS, IFR or whatever. For whatever reason I want to carry on Longlining in the bigger machines. However I'm not overly interested in Shake Blockin, and hope I don't have to. The reason for that is because of all the horror stories i've heard about flying way too much weight, and the demanding/cheap customers.

Logging would also be very demanding and high paced but it seems more structured.

As for the rough ride, I've gone for a cycle in the Crane in the rearward facing seat and absolutely loved it! :up:

VX,VX,VX,

Just when you think a guy is going to say something intelligent crap spews from one's mouth! ;) As for the quote, it is a play on words, something you usually do down then front of your pants! :P Next thing you know you will be telling the world that a steamchicken will outlift/outperform a one lunger! :rolleyes: It is obvious with neighbours like you I will have to build a higher fence!!!

On a serious note wet one,

DGP is correct, no biggie to sweat the medium endorsement. Attitude is everything and a good one will move you into a heavy even faster! As far as the medium route goes remember one thing, all drill pilots can move wood but not all logging rocket jockies are proficient at swinging drills!

VX is a perfect example! :D

"Your too high, Your too high..."

"Now your topping, Now your topping..."

All the rest of us combined have not lost the equivalent number of bags he has in his career...don't even get me started on the bent and busted legs!!!

Doh! See what happens when you no longer do my recurrent...all the respect is lost! :lol:

Princess says to say Hi!

Hey VR, how did a good question about getting into logging turn into something about me misplacing seismic bags. I think it's time to get back on topic. Oh yeah, by the way, i've got over 3000 hrs of bag moving and have never lost a bag. Dropped a few but never lost any. And for the bent compressor legs, well we've all bent a few of those.

Logging!!!!!!!!!

VX

Hey did I miss somthing here? Logging, Drills and medium endorsments being handed out for having good attitudes! Sign me up! How low time are we talkin here say maybe 2000hrs all with bags straped to my....

Rainman good luck with the search, I asked this question not to long ago and got some really good feedback from these boys. One that they had mentioned to me was tryin to get on with a 2x4 bucketting, ether no it's not really looking like it is going to be the summer that company's are going to be scrambling for guys to chaise fires for them :(. Heres hoppen for some dryer weather and black lightin...did I say that out loud :D ?

Best of luck to ya rainman. :up: