Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pilot Helmets

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never had a problem with my helmet cracking and I have used it often at temps as low as -40C.

The paint might have cracked a bit from flexing it to put it on in the cold, but that isn't structural damage just cosmetic.

I will never buy another helmet but a Gallet. It's just too perfect for longlining.

Guest Angry Egg Driver

There's one easy way to stop it from cracking in cold weather...if indeed that happens.Put it in the nice clothe bag and put that in the helmet bag.Take it inside instead of leaving it outside in the freezing cold machine all night.Its an investment,if you look after it i'm sure you wont have any problems with it.

I've had mine for almost 4 years and worn it on my melon for well over 3000 hrs in that time and never had a single problem with it :) Its seen the jungles of Central America to the brutally cold winter in Northern Canada.

Have read on some other threads that the Gallet had some problems with cracking in cold weather. If anyone has had one crack i would like to hear a bit more about this, where on the helmet they cracked, how and under what circumstances, etc. I have been thinking about treating myself to a new helmet and have been holding off because of this issue that i would like to know more about it.

Thanks

L3

around the top of the "keyholes" in back. hairline cracks.

deosn't have to be off your head too long in cold weather, helmet gets quite stiff.

mine was made in 2005...bad day for the composite mix???

not happy with the cracks, but really like the helmet overall.

Thanks Jet B, A E D, and Ironclad for your replies. I was under the impression that you had to flex or distort the shell a bit to get it on your head (Is this true?) and this is where and when the cracking happens. Yes i have noticed the "key holes" and wondered why they were there. I have only ever tried a Gallet on once so don't have much of a frame of reference as i have a Gentex HGU-56/P (Yeah, yeah, spare me.....i've heard all the jokes.... :rolleyes: ha ha ha.....Star Wars storm trooper issue, bla, bla, bla........insert theme song) and it kind of goes onto your head like a stew pot. :D

As long as there is no handle on it it should be ok,,,,although would make a good joke to put a little fake handle on it,,,,friend of mine put his "name" on back as "Tip",,,,his customers all thought his name was Steve and he had to explain his name was "Tip, the Pilot" made for a some fun.

Thanks Jet B, A E D, and Ironclad for your replies. I was under the impression that you had to flex or distort the shell a bit to get it on your head (Is this true?) and this is where and when the cracking happens. Yes i have noticed the "key holes" and wondered why they were there. I have only ever tried a Gallet on once so don't have much of a frame of reference as i have a Gentex HGU-56/P (Yeah, yeah, spare me.....i've heard all the jokes.... :rolleyes: ha ha ha.....Star Wars storm trooper issue, bla, bla, bla........insert theme song) and it kind of goes onto your head like a stew pot. :D

i wouldn't say you have to distort the shell. but as you put it on, you pull a little on the earcups to accomodate getting it on your head, makes for a nice fit on your head.

that's what the keyholes are for, to make it possible to do such.

i gather that mine, when it did get cold and "shrunk" that i had to pull it open a bit more to fit it onto my head. h3ll, one time in g.p. it just was NOT going to go onto my head!! had to warm it up a bit. and i don't leave it outside. it just wasn't that warm in the motorhome to begin with!