Collective Bounce

Anybody who remembers the Apex 2x4 that came apart in about 1980 will want to avoid bouncing anything in a bell medium. A witness I spoke to who was practicaly underneath him at the time recalled watching the driver ( who apparently wasn't endorsed on type) flying around inside the cockpit while the engine was being ejected from the aircraft as it self destructed. I'm not sure what he had on the hook but it was some logging or salvage ops.

That 204 mentioned was slinging with ropes, the ropes broke and came up and decided to play "hopscotch" with the M/R. The pilot was endorsed, didn't have "skads" of time on type, but was well experienced otherwise......and also a very good engineer at one time. He knew better, did differently and it cost him his life. I knew him well, had flown with him and I don't speak ill of the dead because the next mistake that makes the papers might be mind and I'd expect the same. Oh and no offense was taken by me about the mention of the accident, so don't read that into my comments please.

VR ----- by rubber lanyards, I'm talking about those kind that are poly, left out in the sun, rain and mud and should be tossed in the garbage. I like what you use and I'm with you. I don't know who you are, where you are or what you're flying, but you read like you got your "sh*t together" my friend.

The wire rope ones can become interesting in the Arctic for the person hooking up to a medium.........unless they know how to do it properly. It used to be part of a "hazing" ritual for apprentices in the Arctic Islands, that was usually conducted by experienced engineers. I believe that is considered "unprofessional behaviour" nowadays for such goings-on. :D Too bad also, because this industry used to be bags of fun before lots started to take themselves too seriously.

Interesting stuff. My 'bounce' experience came with a 204 on a rig move for Dome Pete up in the Delta when carrying those huge beams they used to make the 'mat.' I got the load off using lots of patience and was able to get it to altitude with no problem, but once I leveled and went for some speed, it gave a big bounce. I was relatively new to the 204 and Tommy Gurr, who had checked me out, told me that if it ever started to bounce on me, not to let it go to the third bounce or I wouldn't know anything about the fourth. So, with the second gut-wrenching bounce, I pickled the load, then banked to watch those huge beams turn into toothpicks. Needless to say, ever after, I've been VERY conscious of collective friction.

I did experience something similar when landing a 204 in deep snow just a few years back. As I was checking my 'seating' with collective, she started to buck like mad and actually lifted me right through the overhead window before I was able to get the collective down and power off. Turned out the 'fifth mount' had cracked and gave out the wild ride, but it was sure reminiscent of the 'bounce' feeling. Lots of thanks to shoulder harnesses and 'brain buckets' for this one! :up:

P.S. I'd actually backed off the pilot's collective friction because the pre-load on this one was pretty good. Wonder how much of the 'ride' was my own fault? B)