Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Texan Hog Cull

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was some pretty good shooting.

I remember seeing those feral hogs running around all over the place when I worked down in Texas. They always warned me not to get caught out walking in a field by them, they would rip you apart and eat you.

They obviously park the robby on a trailer because they just tow it around wherever they go to save on ferry costs.

It's not a video game, these are living breathing creatures that feel pain and i wonder how many of them crawled off into the brush to suffer and die days or weeks later. Sorry, but i was not very impressed.

the unfortunate side effects of pest control. feral hogs do a significant amount of crop damage in the southern states and a mature sow can have up to 3 litters a year. When I'm not playing pilot I get to play professional hunter, trust me, I'm fully aware of how "un videogame like" putting metal into flesh is.

JetB, i will agree with you that they are extremely dangerous and will kill and eat anything they can find or run down. I will disagree with you that it was "good shooting" though, using a 5.56 mm to shoot something that in most cases is as large or larger than a person is not humane as the 5.56 was specifically designed to wound not kill and anything other than a head, heart or lung shot will leave an animal to suffer. Seeing an animal plow into the dirt because it had its legs shot or spine severed is not killing them and i would hope that they turned back to finish off any that weren't killed.

Amphibious, don't think for a second that i think these animals should be left to their own devices. I am not under the illusion that these are cute little animals like Wilbur on Charlotte's Web or something like that. I come from a farming background and agree with you and can tell you first hand that they can do a huge amount of damage to fields, eating crops and making deep holes which can damage equipment and even cause injury to people.

I understand the complexities of hunting an animal as smart and fast as a hog and appreciate the use of a mobile platform to dispatch them from. Many years ago when i was a younger lad i was tasked with eliminating a small "herd" of feral hogs and can tell you that they are very difficult to hunt on foot and tough as nails. I never had the advantage of an aerial platform but bushwhacked with my faithful German Shepard who had a great nose and we had to track and corner them one by one. Hogs are very smart, prolific breeders and as you saw, can run like the wind. They are also extremely dangerous if cornered as my pup found out after getting too close and receiving an 8' gash on her shoulder which meant a trip to the vet who relieve me of $300 with a smile on her face. I do understand the logistics for using a repeater and a small caliber for minimising recoil to make this method of hunting effective. The thing that makes me cringe is not knowing how many were not killed cleanly. I hope i have explained my thinking well enough........if not i can always give it another whack.

L3..... Are you a doctor? Or maybe a master in philosophy????

By the way....We are doing the same thing over here with Moose, Deer, and Carribou's!!!

Woupss! :unsure:

No we don't sling...we don't shoot a moose with a small caliber round and leave him to die.

Both sides of this argument hold validity but I agree with L3 to a certain extent. If the animals need to be culled it should be done more humanely. The guys in the video seem to most concerned about having fun.

Mark

No we don't sling...we don't shoot a moose with a small caliber round and leave him to die.

Both sides of this argument hold validity but I agree with L3 to a certain extent. If the animals need to be culled it should be done more humanely. The guys in the video seem to most concerned about having fun.

Mark

Tell me you never went Moose hunting with a 12 ga!