Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Texan Hog Cull

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me you never went Moose hunting with a 12 ga!

I'd like to know what happens to the shot animals later. Does someone follow up and finish them off and put the meat to good use? Frankly, they seemed like a couple of mindless boobs who were enjoying themselves way too much for people doing an inherently dangerous job. They reminded me of the idiot kangaroo shooters in Crocodile Dundee. There was a well known deer cull in New Zealand that resulted in many accidents but in this case the meat was put to good use.

I'd like to know what happens to the shot animals later. Does someone follow up and finish them off and put the meat to good use? Frankly, they seemed like a couple of mindless boobs who were enjoying themselves way too much for people doing an inherently dangerous job. They reminded me of the idiot kangaroo shooters in Crocodile Dundee. There was a well known deer cull in New Zealand that resulted in many accidents but in this case the meat was put to good use.

I read some of the comments on the youtube video. The shooters were running a professional operation to Cull the animals that way. The only other option for the farmers was to either trap or poison them and that would be too slow and have a bad impact on any other wildlife in the area.

They said there were two different shooters and two guns. One was an AK-47 and the other was an AR-15 with hollow tip bullets. I'm no expert, but I believe both of those guns would do enough damage to insure a kill. They also said that people do go in and take the meat of the younger hogs, but the older ones are full of worms and have very tough wild tasting meat so they end up feeding the vultures and scavengers.

I'm sure there was a lot of editing in the video, so you can't say that they didn't hover over the animals and dispatch any that were wounded but not dead.

Tell me you never went Moose hunting with a 12 ga!

a 12ga slug is more then enough to flip over a mature swamp donkey given proper shot placement and within the round's effective range. I fail to see your point.

L3, I agree, a larger caliber should probably be used. personally, if I was in the US and was able to use an AR10 outside of a range, that would be my choice. M14 would be handy too. a .223 with the proper projectile would ensure a relatively high kill rate, hopefully they were not using milsurp or other cheapo FMJ stuff. I've seen a few bears at work go down quickly and humanely to small calibers like the .243win.

on the helicopter side of things, would have to be having a lot a fun to make up for the fact I was flying so low in a R22....

L3,

Those numbers are only a guide. If you want to talk about humane kill, then hunting ammo and military ammo do not compare. The military uses (at least when I was in...) FMJ rounds and they had a specific purpose. I don't use FMJs for hunting, they are useless.

I hunt both deer and moose, both with 180 grain bullets out of 300win. mag. The two rounds are very different. The deer round will go through the first set of ribs then expands very rapidly liquifying the heart and lungs, but does not even go through the other ribs = no exit wound. Same caliber, gun and grains, but different bullet design and I use it for moose. Works great. If I were to use the moose round for deer, it probably wouldn't be as effective and may only serve to wound it.... :( Pass right through doing inadequate damage.

Bottom line, you can get effective 5.56 and 7.62 hunting rounds. I also use 7.62 x 39 (short 308) for deer.

H

L3,

You missed the point. A bullet has to enter and expand and release its stored energy to be effective. I can take a bullet with a lot of energy and blast it right through and if it carries its energy because of lack of expansion then its ineffective. I hunt with high vel and ftlbs for distance. A lighter cartridge at a shorter distance can be just as effective and easier on the user.

Are you a hunter?

H