True Cat A Helicopters

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, and how many pax would that be with???

Well I guess if you used that pod thing, you could carry a few. Don't think i would want to ride in it though. ;)

But back to the original question, i think all the twins mentioned will "fly" on one engine, albit once you have reached a certain airspeed or at a reduced gross weight. As has been mentioned, some machines do it quite well and others well lets say they leave something to be desired............

355NP on a standard day at 2500' ASL will hover OGE at maximum contingency power (2.5 minutes OEI) if the gross weight is 4800 lbs or below. The N model would be slightly less with the same conditions. The flight manual for a F, F1, or F2 (or FX) does not even have performance charts for hover performance on one engine. A NP model would come in at about 3400 lbs so if you have 50% fuel and 4 pax, well.... you can do the math. Pretty well all twinstars will maintain flight if one stove quits while you are at sea level and above 50 knots or so. If one stove quits while hovering OGE with more than 2 passengers and more than 50% fuel, things are going to get real interesting real quick. Not sure about Dunc's 105 but I would bet it has better gumption than the twinstars.

Also, the NP is only certified as a Cat A "equivalent" - whatever that actually means.

Not sure about the N but it has slightly less performance than the NP so I would guess that it is in the same category.

Looks like a crane is the best way to go....

Guest Up&away

They all can fly on 1 engine, it depends on GW density Alt. and airspeed of 35 to 50 kn depending on aircraft type. Most twins will not hover on 1 engine with any kind of load. If you fallowing a cat a take-off profile by the weights in the flight manual it gives you the option before you are commited take-off to reject for a safe landing or once take-off is started a safe fly away to return for a single engine landing.

A 212 or 412 with the DF PT6 engines is a very good performer on 1 engine. Can hover at a high GW on 1 engine.

You also won't see single engine wat or take-off charts. Once you land a twin after a engine failure, you need to contact the MOT and get a single engine ferry permit to return to base for maintence only flight, with crew only on board. Twins are not made to fly around on 1 engine to be legal you need both.

You also won't see single engine wat or take-off charts. Once you land a twin after a engine failure, you need to contact the MOT and get a single engine ferry permit to return to base for maintence only flight, with crew only on board. Twins are not made to fly around on 1 engine to be legal you need both.

My understanding is that the TwinRanger is legal for all flight regimes on one engine, making it unique. I believe part of the marketing was that you could actually shut down one of the engines during high altitude cruise to save on engine time and fuel economy (as in, intentional engine shut-down in flight was also legal). That said, there's not much information on them out there, so I could be very wrong. Also, on one engine you'd have a single C20R anyways, and given that she'd already be fat from having an extra engine on board, so I imagine performance could be described as lackluster at best.