Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Vertical Ref Work

Just looking for some info on the companies that are into specialized v. ref stuff such as Prism etc. in BC, but also sesmic outfits in AB.

I guess the main questions are what type of background are these guys looking for, and how does one start into it if the current job is not providing longline time? Is it possible to get on with an outfilt like Prism doing the logging support and learn the rope(s) as you go, and are there positions within that speciality that allow a guy to ease himself onto the line? (crew drops, moving chockers etc.) The 500 is something I really want to fly in the future, but all the work seems to be v. ref stuff, so how to get in?

I'm very interested in gaining the skills to do these jobs, but it's the old - how do you get the time if you don't have the time problem. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

AR

P.S. lots of mountain time already.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Auto Relight: If you have access to a helicopter, such as a 500 or 206. start with 45 gal drum (no top) and sixty lb wing anchor for fixed wing and a 50-60 ft lanyard.

Hook up, take off, do a circuit, come to a hover over the 45 gal drum and lower the weight into it.

Piece of cake once you learn how to stop it from swinging.

Practice makes perfect.

That is how Parks Canada trains mountain rescue pilots.

The mountain rescue pilots in Golden, Canmore and Jasper can give you some insite.

Cheers Don

Auto-relite,

On your current job, if you have the chance for ext. load operations, put your load on a longline if needed or not! The skill of longlining takes practice and time. At first move your load around, see how it handles, then try for placement of your load. Different loads fly differently..REMEMBER this, think about a drum vs some lumber! This will save your life some day.

To get into siesmic, I look for around 700 hrs, Astar time, some external load time, and a positve attitude. I am able to put you in the field with trained personal who will be able to show you the ropes and the in's and out's. It can very stressfull first starting out, everyone wants experience. There is always a time and place for newbies to the longline.

One more thing, why go backwards to fly a 500? Man, they look real cool but put an 8 hour day in one...Good luck with the back and headaches.....

Auto Relight, another of the better companies doing virtually nothing BUT longlining is HeliQwest out of St. Albert/Villeneuve, AB. Talk to owner Bob Chalifoux or Ops. Mgr. Randy Simonneau. A couple of others, though smaller, are Skyline and Wildcat, out of Kelowna, B.C. B)

Auto Relight: I guess I can't read or don't understand what I'm reading.

My first exposure to a long line was in all places Gander Newfoundland in, I think 74 or 75. We had an Okie 61 Captain with time off teaching us how to put a sixty lb weight in a bucket with a 206. Loved it, hated it, but was fun. Very similar to wondering why the sweet jesus you wanted to fly a helicopter prior to your solo.

Most people are referring you to companies that do longlining which is not the answer.

Longlining is not the answer to everything in helicopter operations. If you are working a fire, it has it's advantages, so does the 747 water bomber.

To make along story short and without putting anybodies helicopter(s) out of joint, take an R22 with a 100 ft longline and 10 galllons of water in the baby bucket and go for it.

Power is the answer in longlining and not pilot teqnique.

Argue with me, if you dare.

Cheers Don

Thanks for all the replys.

I realize that it takes practice to do anything well, and this is just another in the already long line, pardon the pun...

Sounds like if a guy is persistent and committed to learning, the opportunities are there to take. Of course the line is not the the be all and end all in rotary work, but it is one aspect that I am interested in becoming good at - just like mountain work, float or ski flying etc.

Wx seems to be heating up, hope you are all out and busy in the next week or so. Thanks again.

AR

Frequent Flyer...

Amen to that!..... Power has no bearing on the outcome of the longlining operation other than if you can vertical the load through the tree's....Pilot skills are everything!

Argue with that Blackmac! Well I guess maybe you are talking about you in a R22...the machine, you and a 100' line..I am sure power would be a concern and not technique, because you would never get off the ground!