Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Vertical Ref Work

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the great LONGLINE PILOTS:

A simple question was asked by Auto Relight and a simple answer was originally given by me.

You guys are trying to make it sound like you are all something other than experienced at longlining.

Technique comes with experience, right.

More power is required to hover out of ground effect, than in, or am I missing something.

MY ORIGINAL QUOTE:

So all you super dupper pilots tell me what is the great technique required of a pilot in longlining other than practice and common sense that most pilots that are still flying, have.

Cheers, Don

PS: Keep the personal attacks to your self.

well depends what you r doing if u set a tower a 10000 feet, yes u need a lot off power to hold the load until the bolts r in, the only technique there is to hold the load steady. When u slinging bags on the prairies or logging u can get a lots of loads of the ground using technique....All depends what u r doing and where u r doing it... :up:

Sorry Blackie. Can't agree. :unsure: Just because you have experience it doesn't always follow that one is good. I may have experience playing baseball but it doesn't necessarily follow that I'm any good at it or could have ever made it to the "show" no matter how hard I tried.

twitch

Interesting posts so far. Now who wants to let me learn!!!???? :-)

From what I can tell about flying these things so far, is that with great technique, you can do a lot more with the available power and be much easier on the equipment. ie. less time in transients and over torques/temps. Being able to finesse anything makes the action easier, whether it be skiing steeps or gates, maxing out your speed in a sailboat etc.

SO FAR, that's what I'm getting from this - thanks again

AR

So, Backmac, methinks that your point is that it is more critical to be able to manage power while doing vertical reference than to have great technique? With this point would have to say you are on track, although with these newer model of helicopters ie; B2's and 407's that they will hover out of ground effect at max external gross weight at lower elevations to 30'C. And have seen the outcome of crappy technique with all the power in the world. But get the point anyhew.

And the Parks people do no training, the barrel thing is what most companies do to train their own pilots on their own nickel(hunnerds of em) to qualify for the test, which the company pays for as well, all to compete with other companies going low ball. I understand completely the reason for the test, it is just a sore point that they don't even contribute to the costs associated with it.

sc

Auto Relight, methinks you're getting it, alright. Not that I believe we can learn a bunch from reading. As you well know, it's doing that provides the real learning. Some related thoughts are in Phil Croucher's column in the latest (June/July) issue of 'Vertical.' While I often disagree with Phil's perspectives, I think he's more or less hit the nail on the head this time. B)

Aw shucks, DW <blush> - I haven't read it yet, as my copy hasn't arrived, and I haven't seen the results of Mike's editing. At the risk of being disagreed with again, given that there should be some sort of power margin on a lift, I think if you have to start using excessive technique to get a job done, you need a bigger machine. Hold on while I don my tin hat).

I'll be passing through your way on 19th July, DW - I will bring that wee dram that got mislaid last time!

Phil

DW,

I couldn't agree with you more, just waiting for the chance to put it into pracitce. I read the article quickly, and I have read the one he refers to as well - I agree. Of course with certain techniques, machines of any kind can be made to do things above there design limits, but the reason for those limits is to provide a margin of saftey and longevity that couldn't be attained if you lifted to the absolute max every time.

For what I can gather so far, use the best technique possible with the given power/performace available, but don't exceed limits set out by the manufacturer. That way, the job gets done with the right machine, said machine lasts to TBO and other overhaul limits, and the employer makes $$$ which allows us all to work in the end. Not to mention the insurance increase if there is an accident or mishap resulting in bent metal or worse.

AR