Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Vertical Ref Work

Bell 204/205 with max internal load, you can do pedal turns at 100' to pick out a landing site.

Same helicopters at max external load and I don't give a **** if you have a 100' or a 10' lanyard you will not be doing any hovering and positioning the load wherever.

I have flown a 204 in the mountains in summer. Many times you don't have enough pedal to turn 90 degrees, let alone "pedal turns" while picking out a landing spot. I would take 10 guys with 1000 pounds of fuel in the a.m. In the afternoon, if my prayers not to be called upon weren't answered, I would take 8 guys with no more than 800 pounds of fuel...and was never, ever relaxed about it.

As for the "max external load" part of this post...I am speechless. What altitude? What temperature? I have flown a straight 'B' model Astar at over 10000 feet density altitude at Max External Gross Weight. I couldn't hover but I could certainly (with technique) position the load. There are countless times I could "vertical" with my max gross external weight in a 204/205/212, and more so if I desired. I can remember showing another pilot (new on type) how you could pull 87.2 PSI in a Hughes 500 to move seismic bags, and take about 30 seconds at full power to get out of the staging area. OR you could back up slightly (not the wild 'slingshot' that the uninitiated imagine) and not see over 80 PSI on the torquemeter while being underway in about 15 seconds. Whether one agrees with various techniques, or not, the fact that technique is paramount is absolutely undisputable.

Just as an afterthought: I think there are many ways to practice longlining. The Parks Canada way is not even in the top 100 (my opinion...apologies to those who disagree).

HV

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too sure how Parks Canada got dragged into this mess. The do not consider themslves a Longline training center, They merely test to their requirements.

Typically, they do not look for the hottest pilots off of seismic or logging. Those types of jobs demand much more speed and precision than a rescue, plus you'd be run off Parks if you used a Logging or Seismic attitude on a rescue. The odd log, bag or drill through the trees probably doesn't hurt much either? Parks look for smooth competant SAFE pilots with strong mountain Ops to conduct their job. There's no hour meter concerns, no turnkey bids, no competition involved.

Safety is first. Accuracy is required, speed is irrelevant. Show up on a seismic job with that attitude, and you'd probably last 1 day ( just guessing, cause I've never done seismic).

As you can tell, I'm one of those "Parks guys", I learned all my lining skills in the hills, all Parks did is to confirm that I won't drag the Wardens through too many trees, not whack them into rock faces, and have the correct attitude to fly them up and down while keeping risks to a minimum.

Apples to Oranges Mr Vibe....

I completely agree. I was merely talking about "practicing" longlining. I have worked for a few companies that used the Parke test to evaluate pilots. You can be an excellent seisic pilot (longlining is not the most important thing in seismic...knowing where you are and where you're going is) while being incapable of passing the aforementioned "test". I intended no denigration of the Parks system, I just think that if a guy (or girl) wants to learn, there are a lot of exercises that are useful that have nothing to do with putting a load in a drum.

That was my first post and I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, perhaps I could have phrased it differently.

Harmonic Vibe: Welcome to the site, my apologies for not mentioning then fact that I was using standard day criteria at sea level or just above as per the manufacturers normal flight BS in the flight manual and of course a perfect machine that performs in accordance with that criteria. Any how good to see some level headed in-put.

407D: I agree totally with everything you said about the mountain rescue guys from Parks and the check outs for mountain rescue pilots.

When I was the contracting officer for Parks, I had pilots that were being checked out by these rangers asking me where the **** they got of in being allowed to check out pilots for this contract.

My answer was if you want to be slung under a helicopter on, I beleive a 70' basket by a novice rescue pilot to a mountain face, you are welcome to question their abbility to say wether they would fly with you or not.

I do not know of any pilot accepting.

As for you 407 and all the other mountain rescue pilots and rangers, keep up the excellent work.

Cheers, Don

HV;

Interesting how many people think that the barrel test is the only test that parks uses. The test is two days long and includes about five hours of flying. The barrel test is merely one short phase, one which really has little to do with flying but with how the added pressure of doing the test in an allotted time frame may change the pilots ability to accomplish the task at hand(similar to a real rescue without the human risk factor). It is just a portion of the test, when I did the test the wardens knew I had been practicing alot(for this portion of the test), and thru a loop by shortening the time allotted to 5 minutes for the three circuits, I did it but for sure they had me squirming just to see how I'd react. The real practice is doing other jobs for 5 years building the 3000 hours they require to be a resue pilot, that practice is what you make it, shortline barrells of diesel or longline, that is your decision and where you want to take your career, don't expect parks to train you or allow on the job training. Still think they should help with the costs of the test though, but is a mute point.

407, there used to be much cutting of throats to acquire the contract, when the company I worked for had it in 86 or 87 the rate was 365 hr for the 206B3 and that was after Quasar had it and took it away from Okie. Does it even come up for bid now?

Blackmac, I have been under the machine a few times when finished training one of our own Pilot's. May not have been one of my smartest moments but the k-country Rangers and the pilot were put more at ease my showing confidence in the Pilot's ability. Apparently wcb doesn't cover pilots under the machine though, strange..

sc

Well said, 407, and you, too Blackmac. Each has its very own skill set, but dangling human cargo, regardless of the environs, demands finesse beyond the capability of many. As witness, beaucoup skilled longliners that haven't made the grade, as well as the stringent Class D guidelines imposed by T.C.

Welcome aboard Mr Vibe, you didn't ruffle any feathers. keep the posts comming, you seem to have some great experience to draw on ...after all, anyone who ran a 350B at 10,000 and survived is OK in my books.

Skullcap, Helen Waite now runs the Parks Contracts, so if you want a shot at it, go to Helen Waite :D:D<_<

I've flown on the line a few times, the first sling ride was with the Master...Jim Davies at Lk Louise in (approx) '82. He was incredible on the line, it never waivered a bit, the rope looked and reacted like it was a 100' of steel pipe ! You'd hold your hand out and he'd place the ring in it...amazing !

407;

I went west and saw Helen decided to come home to heaven.

I definately do not want a crack at the contract, was just curious is all.

:up:

sc

and yes Jim was very good with the longline, and I think the smoothest 206 driver have seen, hope he is doing fine and enjoying himself these days.

• 2 weeks later...