Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Cougar S61 In Springbank

I was just leaving Springbank when C-GVCH one of Cougar's S61's dropped in. Didn't see which direct he was coming from and I left shortly thereafter. The 61 is still one of the nicest, best-working helis around (yeah I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

post-3979-1262119624_thumb.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a closer look it is C-GYCH, VCH is an S92A. I was wondering about the blades, Bags thanks for the info. Also it must be a shortsky although I couldn't find anything on the TC site calling it anything but a S61N, it certainly looks shorter in the front fuselage area. Hard to tell compared to C-GMQF due to paint scheme differences.

post-3979-1262124451_thumb.jpg

Those are some expensive blades on that one.

I wonder what benefits some new blades would do for the 64, not that it needs them.

Those are the Carson's new blades. You get a lot better perfomance out of them than the older metal blades.

Specifications

* A 2,000 lb. increase in lift

* 15 Knots faster at reduced power settings

* Twice the service life (10,000 hours to 20,000 hours) with reduced maintenance and operating costs

* A 15% increase in range, from 400 to 460 Nautical Miles

* Certified by the F.A.A.

* Manufactured by DuCommun AeroStructures, Inc, a company that produces blades for the U.S. Army Apache Helicopter and Bell Helicopters.

JD

On a closer look it is C-GYCH, VCH is an S92A. I was wondering about the blades, Bags thanks for the info. Also it must be a shortsky although I couldn't find anything on the TC site calling it anything but a S61N, it certainly looks shorter in the front fuselage area. Hard to tell compared to C-GMQF due to paint scheme differences.

Nope, she's a "LongSky".

Those are the Carson's new blades. You get a lot better perfomance out of them than the older metal blades.

Specifications

* A 2,000 lb. increase in lift

* 15 Knots faster at reduced power settings

* Twice the service life (10,000 hours to 20,000 hours) with reduced maintenance and operating costs

* A 15% increase in range, from 400 to 460 Nautical Miles

* Certified by the F.A.A.

* Manufactured by DuCommun AeroStructures, Inc, a company that produces blades for the U.S. Army Apache Helicopter and Bell Helicopters.

JD

Forgot to mention, very expensive.

JD

Forgot to mention, very expensive.

JD

I talked to Frank Carson a year or so ago and he was almost ready with the tail rotor blades and was negotiating with a couple engine OEMs to re-engine the 61.

If he keeps this up he could kill the 92 sales -assuming anyone is buying anything at the moment.

I talked to Frank Carson a year or so ago and he was almost ready with the tail rotor blades and was negotiating with a couple engine OEMs to re-engine the 61.

If he keeps this up he could kill the 92 sales -assuming anyone is buying anything at the moment.

If things goes according to the rumor I have heard this summer the S92 is not in danger.

Looks like the army/navy/airforce, one of them anyway will get HH3's out of the mothballs to get re-engine also get the new main/tailrotor baldes.

They have from 60 to 70 airframes (if not more) somewhere and they will bring them back to life with that new technology.

That's coming from a US AME I worked with this summer

JD