Cougar S61 In Springbank

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that satellite pic is awesome....just out of curiousity...why do they keep them and not just melt them down?

Strangely enough there are a number of a/c stored there was as at the civilian sites in the Mojave where a/c are stored then returned to service at a later date

Nice dry air = no corrosion. If the a/c is prepped properly before storage then it doesn't take all that long to get back in the air. I did a refurb on a 727 a number of years ago that had been stored since it left AC's operations. It was owned by a bank and another operator leased it from the bank. We got it up to Saskatoon and it was certainly servicable - all we did was add avionics, change all the time-ex'd parts, put high density seating in and paint it. Looked brand new after that.

The US could certainly launch a huge airforce in a short period of time from DM AFB although I see they are dismantling the BUFFs - maybe to get lower time wings etc for operational requirements down the road.

The US could certainly launch a huge airforce in a short period of time from DM AFB although I see they are dismantling the BUFFs - maybe to get lower time wings etc for operational requirements down the road.

The Buffs are being chopped, and have to sit in position for I believe 3 years chopped as a part of the SALT thing (Strategig Arms Limitation Treaty).

They are visible by Russian satelites, and cannot be removed until a later date.

If you look at the pictures, they chop the wings and the fuselages, and leave them in "orederly fashion" for them to be identified.

Cheers

H.

The Buffs are being chopped, and have to sit in position for I believe 3 years chopped as a part of the SALT thing (Strategig Arms Limitation Treaty).

They are visible by Russian satelites, and cannot be removed until a later date.

If you look at the pictures, they chop the wings and the fuselages, and leave them in "orederly fashion" for them to be identified.

Cheers

H.

Either that or they move em out and replace them with plywood :)