Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Whistler Heliport Fees

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was looking at the webpage for the whistler heliport and i see currently, you pay $20 for landing for for a light... while the games are on, that increases to $450... quite the increase... :o

are the fees going back after the games, why the need for such a raise?? just curious...

Twinnie you should realize that the Olympics are not about sport. They are about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Check hotel prices around Vancouver for during the games as well as rental cars, resturants, etc etc etc. In 1988 in Calgary one company went to far as to evict everyone from their apt building and rent it out for the games.

I would not like to try and rent any social facility in Vancouver (doubt if any are available) durining the games. This is big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

time for anyone who can get a slice of the Olympic pie.

In Calgary the German Sports Federation rented a large restaurant up on the hill by COP, totally converted it to a German Gasthof and ran it for 3 weeks. All funded by Lowenbrau. It was managed by Bow Heli's (and Dome Heli's) former Ops Mgr. As he said to me in his German accent "It's Party Time"

Let The Game$ begin :D

silly me... i was hoping it was for a better reason... excuse while i put my rose colored glasses back on!! :blink::wacko:

It costs about 60k I believe for the CATSA screening and extra snow clearing and misc. other expenses just to operate during the Olympics...hence the landing fees (I forgot the baggage handlers and extra staff and facilities that are required as well - this is far from business as usual). I may be slightly incorrect about any detail here but that is the basic idea behind the fee hikes. That's a lot of money to recoup in two weeks.

Landing fees will go back to pre-Olympic rates after the Olympics.

Friend of mine has a nice condo that he and his wife are leasing for the olympics, They have 2 years of mortgage paid for on it in 20 days!

Crazy!

We know people getting over $250,000 for the month. But the Olympics don't benifit most. My girlfirend has limited hours at work becuase they have hired so many staff. And last I herd a lot of flight schools in Vancouver are getting basically shut down or have to move due to the restricted airspace. I'm not much of a fan of the olympics :down:

I hear old Gordon Campbell is going to run for another term. I think he might be running away to Hawaii after the books are opened when the bills for the olympics are added up.

But not before he finally says, "We have to privatize the Coquihalla because we can't maintain it (member he took the tolls off before his last election)", then he'll sell it, the tolls will reappear and viola! He's paid off and takes a new board placement somewhere that will pay his crooked way into the future.

The Olympics have all the luster and honor of the Nobel Peace Prize this go around. Still, it's nice for Canada to show that yes, we are a spectacular country, and yes, we are a proud nation.

I am happy for some things it is bringing, and respectfully acknowledge that it is not good for everyone.