Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Whistler Heliport Fees

Perhaps you should find out what it will cost you to land at an FBO in YVR during the games? You may be surprised at that number too. Are they gauging also?

How did they come up with that number? They are an existing FBO with all the manpower and support already.

And for what it is worth...if the ISU or Nav Canada see an aircraft land anywhere other than Squamish, Pemberton or Whistler you may find an F-18 right beside you in a hurry.

But...the pie is good in Chilliwack.

4,000 ft is a mite short for a BBJ or an ACJ B)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have the landing fees at all the other new catsa screening airports seen this increase? Landing at the heliport is still 65 bucks during the olympics, what about the float planes off the river? I'm sticking with gouging.

Nobody answered WTF's question of whether the local operator is paying at whistler. Something about them being on leased land, so they are exempt. If that is the case then something smells bad, given the fact they have the most to gain from the olympics.

And Roo,if an FBO is upping their rates at yvr with no added services then yes I would call that gouging as well. However, the guy flying the G5 with one t/o & landing every couple days doesn't blink when he sees an extra 350 attached to his bill as much as a guy in a helicopter.

The cost is legit. Not a bit of gouging. Extra staff being hired, temporary buildings, fuel tanks/pumps being rented and much other expense including the CATSA screening. The snow clearing is done usually by one small tractor - in order to accomodate the Olympic requirements much bigger equipment has to be involved. In fact if you count the hours and hours spent over the last 2+ years by many staffmembers just getting this set up I dare say there is not much money to be made from landing fees.

Not at all business as usual.

I know the Olympic gougefest is a reality but it's not happening with the landing fees.

Catsa screening comes out of the billion dollar security budget that canadian taxpayers are on the hook for. So I still don't see a need for the huge increase. The fuel operations will be paid for by the extra fuel being sold I would think.

And for what it is worth...if the ISU or Nav Canada see an aircraft land anywhere other than Squamish, Pemberton or Whistler you may find an F-18 right beside you in a hurry.

But...the pie is good in Chilliwack.

Technically speaking we can land anywhere we want as long as it is on your flight plan and approved. Unannounced landings or flights.... your results will be not so happy

• 1 month later...

Soooooooo, the olympic landing fee is in effect until Mar 24 and is to cover CATSA screening and extra snow removal but the screening is finished on March 3 and there's no snow at the heliport?

I'd be curious to find out how much business the heliport has actually had throughout the games so far.