Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Gsh & The Nwt Government Loan

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully this blog doesnt get as F*&Ked up as much as the one last year. Last year there were a few very immature guys flapping their lips and talking out their a&*. That being said there were a few guys that showed respect. I work at GSHL and simply put we are just another great company trying to get thru a difficult time.

As far as the loan from the government, it had nothing to do with native partners. It was as simple as this. There were several institutions willing to lend GSH money to pay back the founder of DA who they fired and the govenment loan was the best interest rate even though it was 10%. Given the times which was right in the middle of the credit crunch the banks were looking for 12 to 15 %. Wouldnt you all take the best rate regardless where you were getting a loan?

As far as the head office the ball is rolling slowly and aside from Dave Jenning the President/CEO and maybe his secritary for the most part head office will be YZF by this winter. i dont know where they are going but it is happening. I cant beleive guys on this forum really care about less than 6 people working or not working in YZF.

As far as the school goes i think GSH deserves a pat on the back for not ramping up the school in these times. They had the professionalism not to run the school because they knew they were unable to hire lowtime pilots. For the last year they have only been using plus 1000 hours pilots. I guess they could have taken some poor 100 hours pilots money knowing they were not going to have a flying job for them but they didnt. that being said i did hear that one of the engineers was going to do his pilot rating this winter but he has worked here for 3 years or soo and definate has a leg up on the average 100 hour pilot.

I guess the last comment of my rant is when it comes right down to it GSH is truely a great company with very good intentions for their people and the well being of the organization. They are not perfect but neither is any company.

I hope one of these days this site will return back to a forum where guys share knowledge about flying and how to keep the blue side up instead of bitchin and gossiping like a bunch of kids.

by the way, thanks a bunch to all the professional out there that arent trash talking all the time and spend their time boning up on flying instead of gossiping.

the end

Hey Takem, Thanks for your comments! I'm sure glad that someone in the know at GSHL took the time to comment here. Sure is lots of whinning and tado about something some folks don't know anything about....lots of gossip! I work for GSHL as well and wouldn't work for any other company. So there!!! That's my 2 cents worth!

Gee........perhaps when I get around to mismanaging my company, I can have the Feds and or province to buck-up and bail me out also. :rolleyes:

Well.....I guess a huge "loan" would work......yep, will pay the taxpayer back is say.......50 years or so! :)

Wait......should not the word "professional" apply to owners also ????? <_<

Can the GSH guys comment on the school being moved to Yellowknife being a condition of the loan?

I called Springbank before Christmas asking about the school situation. They didn't run a class in 2008 or 2009 and they didn't know if they would run one in 2010. I was told if they did, it would be in Yellowknife. I'm told the list of interested students is quite large.

Well there you go.....no school

Hard to move something that doesn't exist????????

Its good to hear they don't run a puppy mill flight school. No job= no school, sounds fair. Hopefully those interested stick it out a go through when times are good again.

Good to hear you're postponing retirment for another year Hover Lover

I'd imagine that the terms of the loan would give them some time to move their management and establish a school there. There also may be clauses in it which would penalize them financially (or otherwise) if they fail to do so.

Just Looking, you seem to hate GSH, what did they do to you?

I have nothing against GSH. They run some of the best equipment in the industry.

I do however have an issue with the GNWT getting into the banking industry. They loaned GSH money at far lees the any bank would. For that GSH was to move the head office and training school to Yellowknife. If they are going to loan money cheaper then the banks there should be something given in return to the people of the N.T. This is why they are not financing outside the N.T.

How long does it take to move head office it's been a year since the loan was given. I say stall tactic. As for the training school being a puppy mill. What a crock. If you are dumb enough to go out and get your cpl for $80,000.00 all 206 time with out researching the industry you deserve what you get.

If there truly is 1 guy getting his CPL i say TOKEN. Why aren't they advertising.

As i said to start i have no beef with GSH. If you agree to do some thing then do it. he GNWT should be making sure that the agreement is followed.

End of rant

I have nothing against GSH. They run some of the best equipment in the industry.

I do however have an issue with the GNWT getting into the banking industry. They loaned GSH money at far lees the any bank would. For that GSH was to move the head office and training school to Yellowknife. If they are going to loan money cheaper then the banks there should be something given in return to the people of the N.T. This is why they are not financing outside the N.T.

How long does it take to move head office it's been a year since the loan was given. I say stall tactic. As for the training school being a puppy mill. What a crock. If you are dumb enough to go out and get your cpl for $80,000.00 all 206 time with out researching the industry you deserve what you get.

If there truly is 1 guy getting his CPL i say TOKEN. Why aren't they advertising.

As i said to start i have no beef with GSH. If you agree to do some thing then do it. he GNWT should be making sure that the agreement is followed.

End of rant

Speaking of not doing research there, Just Looking, if you did yours you would know that GSHLs head offce is and has been in Yellowknife since the company started. The head office move, loan etc. is all about DA.

The flight school was temporarily shut down until markets improved, as most graduates were to be hired by GSHL. No point in training these guys if there was no spots available for them. (i.e. pilot mill, cash cow was never the intent of the school in its most recent configuration. A well trained, turbine trained potential employee was the intent.) To the best of my knowledge the one guy being trained is to fullfil an obligation dating prior to the school shutdown. As to what that obligation was based on, who knows. As far as the 80 grand ticket goes, I'm sure anybody who is willing to pony up that cash has done his/hers research and realizes that yes, its pricey but at least there is a very good chance of employment, something the cheaper pilot mills could not even come close to.

Cheers

Speaking of not doing research there, Just Looking, if you did yours you would know that GSHLs head offce is and has been in Yellowknife since the company started. The head office move, loan etc. is all about DA.

The flight school was temporarily shut down until markets improved, as most graduates were to be hired by GSHL. No point in training these guys if there was no spots available for them. (i.e. pilot mill, cash cow was never the intent of the school in its most recent configuration. A well trained, turbine trained potential employee was the intent.) To the best of my knowledge the one guy being trained is to fullfil an obligation dating prior to the school shutdown. As to what that obligation was based on, who knows. As far as the 80 grand ticket goes, I'm sure anybody who is willing to pony up that cash has done his/hers research and realizes that yes, its pricey but at least there is a very good chance of employment, something the cheaper pilot mills could not even come close to.

Cheers

You may want to learn to read. If you look back at my previous post's they refer to DA having the loan and moving their head office to Yellowknife. DA is GSH or at least thats how all the stock holders see it.

Just Looking,

The majority of replies that you are getting are accurate. There is a contract obligation for the training that will partake this winter. Another note, do you think it is in the NWT's better interest to have people employed there and paying taxes as opposed to breaking the camel's back and moving the operation out? When I worked for them, I lived outside of the NWT, but I still had to pay a tax to the territory. So just by working for GSH the NWT had their hand in my pocket. Would any businessman want to run their operation in an area where the gov is going to bend them over the barrel when the going gets tough?

the Duke