Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Underwater Egress Training

Was it worthwhile?

You bet your little booties, first time I did the course with Survival Systems in Halifax was quite a eye opening experience. Unbelievable the little things that you would never consider ie; good tight seatbelt, dirty cockpit and on and on.

I would reccomend it to everyone not just those of us that drive over the briney deep everday. It should actually be mandatory, if you have to wear a lifevest, you must have done the course.

Just my thoughts.

(I'm sure the HAC is working on that as we speak :wacko::wacko: )

Thanks for the response RDM. The reason I am asking is that I am currently in the process of designing an Underwater Egress Training course. My company is called Lifesaver Safety Training. I am based out of St Albert, AB and will be starting training in August 2004. I have been working in the helicopter biz for 6 years as a pilot and currently am working behind a desk. I see a real need for this kind of training as there is only 2 other companies in Canada that offer Underwater Egress Trainging. Talk to you soon!

Ditto for the Halifax course, took it in the 80's - should be madatory for all pilots - there will always be water somewhere, and it doesn't matter if it's a puddle or the ocean, the results could be the same - devastating, if you can't get out and get out the right way. Recurrent training should also be done.

Make sure your helmet cord has a short extension on it, so that it will easily disconnect from the ship when you make your exit.

I've flown with two guys who have ditched, at night, in very cold water, and immediately went upside down, and both swear they are here today because of that training. Flying offshore we do the training frequently but I think everyone should go through it at least once...I know another two guys who have put it in the drink on VFR bush ops, luckily for them the water wasn't all that deep but the potential certainly is there.

Bucketing on fires also places you in that "overwater" situation where this training can be invaluable, depending on the type of water source....

The course down east was actually in Dartmouth, across the pond from Halifax - not sure if it still is there or not.

if you are doing any overwater flying be it offshore, bucketing even helijet, i recommend taking the course. i've gone through twice and yes, it's an eye opener!! :shock: :shock:

the lastime was in a 6 place contraption that they "dropped" into subic bay, phillipines. gets exciting when 5 filipinos freak out upside down in the water. luckily i could hold my breath for the 30 seconds they took to clear the simulator then i followed procedure and "escaped"......

i passed :)