Underwater Egress Training

I've had one on board once in a while, when available - comes from all that wet stuff over in Europe - basic training dies hard! I carry it on the roofrack :) I have my own lifejacket as well., although it's not an aviation one (a souvenir from K19). My point was that you can go glibly through your career thinking it will be easy to get out if something happens, but when you actually practice it you realise that you likely would be dead.

Just in case anyone's not had the pleasure, the drill is one hand on the belt buckle, one on the door handle, take a breath, wait seven seconds after submersion, undo eveything and follow your hand out because you won't know the way otherwise. Here is a video showing you why you have to wait 7 seconds before opening the door: video.

Phil

john heiler runs a course out of the vancouver area.

he has a contraption that is fairly mobile. if enough people in alberta wanted a course with an available swimming pool then maybe................

phil, the link ain't working..... :(

Guest CHEVY II

The one day "Aircraft Ditching Course" not the full blown B.S.T, offered here in Halifax is worth every penny. Top notch instruction :up:

As for the "eye opener"....I still can't open my eyes under water, which makes it all that more realistic and speaks volumes for the procedures. ;)

Survival Systems

When I told one of the mechanics that I work with that I was teaching an Underwater Egress course in Alberta, he laughed at me. I think, based on what has alredy happened this season, it is pretty evident that this type of training is a valuable and lifesaving. Helicopter pilots spend lots of time over the water and should know how to get out alive! You will be hearing plenty from me in the near future concerning this training. Stay Safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...