Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pilot Engineer Question

For the guys out there that are pilot engineers,

I understand the benifit of having the engineering to fall back on if you lose your medical, and the advantage of staying employed while things are slow working in the shop but could the guys out there that have both mind telling there experience as both the pros and cons. Primary role being a pilot.

Regards Emerson

Emerson it all depends on what you want!

If you want slow time security, but being stuck doing maitance then hey self explanatory, as long as you can make it known that your primary goal is to fly and your employer is will to hear you great, just don't fall into a trap of self obligation that you are doing maitance more than flying or the other way around if you prefer to do maitance. Let your goals be known and hopefully it does not fall on deaf ears.

Heliwolf

• 2 weeks later...

First of all your not a pilot/AME, your going to be and AME who knows how to fly. Your not stuck doing maintenance, if there is maintenance to do that means the machine is broken and therefore no flying to do, you need to enjoy the job if you don't you will not be successful at ether. As an AME you need to expect slow gain of flight time, my logbook reads 1999, 2001, 2002, and 2003 on one page, and after 10 years I have just over 800 hrs, which I am happy with. During my highest flying years (now behind me) I found myself really integrated into both roles and was able to balance them nicely. The main benefit is that no one can bullshit you. You see and take it from both sides, "it's not your but in the seat" yes it is, "your just a pilot" no I am not. It is possible to be good at both, but it will depend on the organization you are employed with.