Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

How Short Is Too Short?

I’m 5 foot 2 ish (at least that’s what I tell people). I hold a commercial license and could reach everything just fine with a small cushion in the 22 and 44.

Obviously you can be too short to fly but I'm just wondering how short is too short?

How tall is the shortest pilot you've seen? Or know of?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elvis, I don't think I have a problem with height. When I first started flying I thought I did but a cushion helped and confidence helped. The 44 pedal extensions are perfect for my height even without my trusty cushion.

When I first started flight school I was 110-115 and now I'm about 125 and quite happy there.

Any baggage goes under my seat, if I need more weight I'll just carry a few extras quarts of oil. I can usually take full fuel with 3 standard guys. So I guess (in my mind at least) my lack of weight works in my favor.

Elvis, I don't think I have a problem with height. When I first started flying I thought I did but a cushion helped and confidence helped. The 44 pedal extensions are perfect for my height even without my trusty cushion.

When I first started flight school I was 110-115 and now I'm about 125 and quite happy there.

Any baggage goes under my seat, if I need more weight I'll just carry a few extras quarts of oil. I can usually take full fuel with 3 standard guys. So I guess (in my mind at least) my lack of weight works in my favor.

P.B. Keep in mind that some seats are designed to crush to absorb impact.

You could have a problem flying a 206 as minimum pilot weight wih no pax is 170 lbs if memory serves me correct.