How Short Is Too Short?

I know a petite gal who drives a 204 (plus 206, Astar, etc etc). Can't be more than 5'2" and 100lbs. She's got a little "tool" bag that's gotta be filled with depleted uranium, the friggin' thing's stoopidly heavy! It rides up front with her...

Dick

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend Bob, is a short-arse, and has no problems. he carries a 40 pound steel ballast with him.

Cheers

H.

Just as note here back when the 206A model was still out there and still is by the way, to be LEGAL to fly that model the PILOT HIMSELF would have to be more than 150 lbs to fly the aircraft.

That would put a lot of female pilots and some male pilots illegal to fly the aircraft

Look at the placard of a 206A model down below.

They did change the wording in the subsequent flight manuals B/L/L etc. With "minimum front seat weight" of 170 lbs and add ballast if needed.

Souvenirs of some female pilots NOT being able to fly that model in the 70's because of the wordings in the manual unless of course you looked the other way and everybody did.

JD

THIS HELICOPTER MUST BE OPERATED IN COMPLIANCE

WITH THE OPERATING LIMITATIONS SPECIFIED IN THE

APPROVED ROTORCRAFT FLIGHT MANUAL

MINIMUM PILOT WEIGHT 150 LBS

JD

Seriously though....

How tall is the shortest pilot you've seen or head of???

we had a little tiny girl flying 300's in Florida, she couldn't have been over 5' tall. not sure what she weighed but I could easily pick her up with one hand. she needed a cushon behind her back to reach the pedals....

LOL

Basically, What I'm asking is do you think there should be a sign outside every flight school that says "YOU MUST BE THIS TALL TO FLY" ?

No

I don't think there should be a "law" for how tall you need to be to fly.

But ....maybe Just like the 206 minimum font seat weight there should be a minimum height for each aircraft that the manufacturers put in place.

I don't see how there could ever be a law put in place that would blanket the hole industry.

No

I don't think there should be a "law" for how tall you need to be to fly.

But ....maybe Just like the 206 minimum font seat weight there should be a minimum height for each aircraft that the manufacturers put in place.

I don't see how there could ever be a law put in place that would blanket the hole industry.

I agree fully. They could never do that as every machine is different. A law would just be pointless.

Do you think manufacturers would actually make a min. height?

I'm really wondering why they don't (or I haven't seen) any mins. already.