Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

"infants" And Seat Belt Requirements

I've been investigating the requirements for the use of seat belts for infants. CARs defines infant as anyone under the age of 2 and are not required to be in a seat but can be held on someones lap. Everything I've read seems geared towards commercial airlines, I never saw the word helicopter or rotorcraft anywhere. Have I missed something somewhere? if anyone can shed some additional light it would be appreciated.

The existing regualtory requirements apply equally to all aircraft (other than a balloon, as noted):

605.22 - Seat and Safety Belt Requirements

605.26 - Use of Passenger Safety Belts and Restraint Systems

Personally, I would recommend the use of a child restraint system for an infant:

551.501 - Child Restraint Systems

605.28 - Child Restraint System

AC 605-003 - Child Restraint Systems

When using a car seat in a helicopter it cannot be installed in such a way as to inhibit use of the exits ie...has to be put in the middle. It also cannot be out of date and the date of manufacture has to be visible. I have all the requisite documentation on my computer but using someone elses right now but I believe the above to be correct.

Dependant on the aircraft flown, some state in the FM "Maximum allowable persons to be carried on board". In the case on an As350 Section 2.1 #17 states maximum # of persons is 6. So if the infant is in the lap...the seat must still be available. You cant legally place an infant in a lap to make room for an extra person to be transported. At least thats the way i read it....Hope it helps.

B2

Dependant on the aircraft flown, some state in the FM "Maximum allowable persons to be carried on board". In the case on an As350 Section 2.1 #17 states maximum # of persons is 6. So if the infant is in the lap...the seat must still be available. You cant legally place an infant in a lap to make room for an extra person to be transported. At least thats the way i read it....Hope it helps.

B2

All great info, thanks, interesting point b2 something I didn't even consider.

Having worked for a tour operator for several years, I know that children 2yrs and under do not require a seat or safety belt. If the customer pays for the extra seat, then the child must be restrained properly. The rules apply for all types of aircraft except balloons as stated earlier.

And no, you cannot sucure a child seat in the baggage compartment. Although a seperate hold for screaming babies and the unwashed would be great. :)

I think you have to be very careful in the interpretation of 'blocking exits.' I believe those rules came about after fatalities with A/C on their sides and people were unable to exit the opposite door due to obstructions. Strap something large and heavy in the rear center seat of a 206 + 2 rear passengers and then imagine that A/C on it's side, partially submerged or on fire. If the person on the bottom was trapped and perished, or was unable to exit the A/C because the other passenger was standing on the obstuction and trying to exit the A/C..... You could find yourself in a very poor legal position concerning any wrongful death litigation and your personal exposure to legal liability. "He would have made it out, if the pilot hadn't blocked the exit."

Why risk it? Just follow the law, it's safer.