Long Lining Snow?

DGP

Disagree ,figure skating is more of a sport than synchro swimming , rhythmic gymnastics and small bore shooting all of which are included in the summer games. But to add some excitement they should allow body checking :D

I agree with the syncro swimming and rhythmic gymnastics.... or any event that uses judges. Shooting is harder than it looks and you score it based on results, not a judge. As for body checking, I like that idea! Nudity would help me like any of those skating or gymnastic sports a lot more.. maybe they could add a brass pole to the event as well? Just wonderin....

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would argue the point too that the fall of the former USSR had a great influence on the fall of Yugoslavia. In fact Yugoslavia for the most part had a hostile relationship with Moscow and considered themselves a non-aligned nation with regards to the cold war and the arms race. Tito held the nation in a grip of fear for many years and only after his death did things fall apart. QUOTE

I agree with that premise but, the collapse of all of the Soviet Block seemed to trigger a lot of suppressed hatreds and long-term border/ethnic/political actions throughout their sphere of influence. I know Tito had an adversary attitude towards the Soviets but probably was supported by them regarding weapons and money to keep control.

Now, back to helicopters and the Olympics - . the next couple weeks will be interesting as the onrushing Olympic train arrives in Vancouver. Hopefully the helicopter operators and the military have a safe uneventful time.

I think a better 'Plan B" would have been to re-locate the event to Big White or Silver Star (read anyplace with snow). The trip back and forth could be done quickly by charter airplanes, or by land... and the amount of snow wouldn't affect the quality of the racing and the results.

As much as I object to the Olympics as a taxpayer, I hope it doesn't embarrass us as a nation by not having snow.. a.k.a. the Great White North.

However, PLEASE! No more olympic games in Canada... we just can't afford it.

Ralph Klein brought the Olympics to Calgary as part of his master plan to put Alberta on the map and to send the "bums and creeps" to Vancouver.

You can't compare Calgary to Vancouver. Albertans are a practical sensible people. Vancouverites are stoned hippies. Who seem to care more about giving drugs to drug addicts and apartments on prime water front property, from the huge never to end pile of government money. That comes from some magical source.

[...]

Am trying to get some pics but have not had any luck so far. Would be interesting to get some footage but there are media restrictions in place which make getting video very difficult.

Here's the blurb that CTV news had about the straw and snow business:

CTV blurb

Apologies for the commercial you'll have to watch first.

Ralph Klein brought the Olympics to Calgary as part of his master plan to put Alberta on the map and to send the "bums and creeps" to Vancouver.

You can't compare Calgary to Vancouver. Albertans are a practical sensible people. Vancouverites are stoned hippies. Who seem to care more about giving drugs to drug addicts and apartments on prime water front property, from the huge never to end pile of government money. That comes from some magical source.

Now that is a typical Albertan right wing arogant (gorbie) attitude, enjoy your cow sh*t, and enjoy your holidays in Beutifull British Columbia, actually you can stay home....just send your women to swim and suntan on our fresh lakes!! we will take care of them B) like always

You could be right Petit-Lion that Plumber might be using (and i'm not saying that he is or was) something to give himself an edge in his "sport". Not to long ago i watched an investigative reporting show on TV and some experts and top world athletes were of the opinion that it is impossible to compete at an international level without performance enhancing drugs.

Indeed the amount of money that is at stake, in the form of product endorsements which is decided by who wins and who looses fuels a huge industry in developing new ways to beat the drug screening tests. There is only a small fraction spent on developing new tests to try to keep pace with new drugs and ways of masking them. Things have gotten to the point that "samples" have to be frozen and tested at some point in the future when the tests have caught up, but by that time the cash is in the bank and it's a moot point except for a bit of public embarrassment if someone is caught. It's in horse racing, baseball, running, (in case we forgot that one.....Ben J.) even the use of marijuana like our little buddy Ross (was that his name?) the snowboarder. I can just see him trying to explain that one...."Hey dude.....i was at a party and some random guy was smokin' up and exhaled on me!......", most likely in every sport.

This begs a few questions, one being is it even realistic to expect anyone who wins to be "clean" or should we just do away with the rules prohibiting drugs and let athletes choose whether or not they use them because they don't seem to be able to be honest about it and it's not exactly a level playing field. So in the name of fairness do we host two games, a clean one and an "enhanced" one? But really, would athletes compete in their division? If they can't be honest now, they probably won't be honest if an accommodation was made for drugs.......

one question...do you talk as much as you type? :wacko:

I give you exhibit "A" on why the helicopter industry is the way it is. With people like this on your side, it's no wonder wages and conditions are going backwards, the intellectual stimulation is simply overwhelming. Or not. Mostly not. Ok, not at all. :rolleyes:

Do they have school where you came from?

AR