Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Atpl-h/hatra Requirements

Bif

I can't seem to find clear concise info relating to this. Can anyone tell me the requirements necessary to take ATPL-H or HATRA exams? Min hrs, ratings required etc. I think I read that ATPL requires night rating?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers!

To write the exams (HAMRA/HARON) you need 1/2 the requirements for the rating.

You CAN get an ATPL without the IFR and the NIGHT, but that is limited to VERTICAL REFERENCE work only (I believe, and could be very wrong on that).

To qualify for the ATPL you need an IFR rating, Night with 50 hours PIC night, 1000 hours total, 200 hours PIC Cross country and 600 hours of total time in helicopters.

If you look at www.tc.gc.ca and find the 400 series of the CARs you should be able to find everything you need.

To get the ATPL stamp in your license you need to do a PPC as PIC on a multi engine/multi crew machine (Which sucks!)

Cheers

H.

I'm curious how this relates to certain employer requirements for first officers, such as CHL (Afghanistan contract), Helijet, STARS. They ask for 500 hrs and ATPL exams completed, but if you can't take the exams until you have 1000 hrs, etc. What is the point?

Or am I missing something, and you can take the exams regardless of experience, THEN build experience to qualify for the actual rating??

I'm curious how this relates to certain employer requirements for first officers, such as CHL (Afghanistan contract), Helijet, STARS. They ask for 500 hrs and ATPL exams completed, but if you can't take the exams until you have 1000 hrs, etc. What is the point?

Or am I missing something, and you can take the exams regardless of experience, THEN build experience to qualify for the actual rating??

500 hours is half the experince

you need 1000 hours to hold an ATPL....but you can write and get a restricted ATPL at 500 hours

From what I understand you can write the ATPL exams at 500hrs cost a little over $200 and the exams are valid for 24 months which would allow a first officer position. To actually get the ATPL lisence you need to meet the flight requirments and complete the PPC on 2 crew aircraft as mentioned in a previous post.

I think it would make more sense to initially take the HATRA Exams which would allow you to be a first officer unless you already have most of the hours required for the ATPL lisence. HATRA cost I think $35 Not to sure how long it is valid for. Anyone feel free to correct me or add.

I can't seem to find clear concise info relating to this. Can anyone tell me the requirements necessary to take ATPL-H or HATRA exams? !

I think can write and hold a HATRA without doing a multi PPC ride as Winnie mentioned regarding the ATPL. You can do this at 500 hours......but I was too lazy to look this up...so you might want to verify. :D

The HATRA might help you at least find a multi sic seat.....then get your feet wet and write the ATPL's

Mr. ___________ above me answered at the same time I was typing...I may have repeated some info ;)

I can't really find any useful info relating to the HATRA exam. TC website comes up with a study guide, but I can't find a list of requirements, faq's, info relating to how long it's valid, yadda yadda.

The consensus I'm getting though, is that if one is looking for a FO position, and has relatively low hours (500ish), then it's advisable to take HATRA exams, get hired, and work towards ATPL from there? Am I getting that right?

So, in theory, if I wanted to say, apply for the CHL Afghanistan contract, I could study up and take HATRA and be good to go as a FO?