Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Atpl-h/hatra Requirements

Bif

The consensus I'm getting though, is that if one is looking for a FO position, and has relatively low hours (500ish), then it's advisable to take HATRA exams, get hired, and work towards ATPL from there? Am I getting that right?

You are correct.....the big thing is that writing the HATRA or having a frozen/restricted ATPL will allow to you to actually log time in a multi eng/crew machine so you can get al the requirments for your ATPL.

So, in theory, if I wanted to say, apply for the CHL Afghanistan contract, I could study up and take HATRA and be good to go as a FO?

I think with this contract you need to have an atpl (at least written) as per the customer...I'm not 100% but that's the way the job posting is worded. Not sure if a HATRA would be good enough here.....but you'd have to ask the folks in edmonton that.

The ATPL writtens cost $110.00 per, and there are two, as they are for a license, the HATRA is $35.00 as it is for a type rating.

The HATRA exam allows you to take a type rating and fly a MULTI CREW aircraft, it does not give anything else.

HAMRA/HARON at 500 hours does exactly the same, but also allows you to do the PPC when able to, but if it take more than 2 years, you might be SOL there...

I know that the SAMRA/SARON are now valid for 4 years according to the CARs so it should be only a matter of time.

The usefulness of whatever VFR ATPL is more in the eyes of the holder eh?

From what I could garner from the Canadian ad, they want their Captains to be experiences, and their copilots to have some experience. I did not read too much into it, but it seemed like 1000hours min for cojoes?

More interested in what they pay, but THAT is thread creep...

Cheers

H.

Hi BIF,

I just went through all this stuff last spring. The HATRA is valid for 12 months and the HARON/HAMRA exams are valid for 24 months. To acquire a ATPL (Restricted) you will need a night rating, the ATPL exams written, and a multi/crew / multi/engine PPC. The PPC has to be completed within 12 months of writing the ATPL exams to meet the recency requirements.

I am not sure exactly how much IFR time you need for the restricted, but I believe it is 10 hours. To remove the restriction you will need 50 hours of night either as PIC or SIC, dual does not count. I think that you need a minimum of 30 hours of IFR to remove the restriction.

A suggestion on whether to write the HATRA or the ATPL exams, a HATRA is a combination of of the 2 ATPL's and they are not watered down. I thought I would cover my butt and write the HATRA as I thought it would be a slam dunk, I passed it but barely. I would just go straight to the ATPL exams, they will have to be written anyways. The ATPL exams are very difficult and the questions are designed to be difficult, but then I am not that smart either. Pro-IFR in Boundary Bay, B.C has some excellent seminars they run every month that cost around $400.00, they are well worth it.

Have Fun

Pardon moi, but I didn't mean pointless as in why would you have to renew you Inst. rating if you're only doing VFR work. You should always keep your options open though, personally if I was going to get the ATPLl-H I'd keep the inst. rating because in this economy you never know, even the logging industry could be affected.

• 8 months later...
I can't really find any useful info relating to the HATRA exam. TC website comes up with a study guide, but I can't find a list of requirements, faq's, info relating to how long it's valid, yadda yadda.

The consensus I'm getting though, is that if one is looking for a FO position, and has relatively low hours (500ish), then it's advisable to take HATRA exams, get hired, and work towards ATPL from there? Am I getting that right?

So, in theory, if I wanted to say, apply for the CHL Afghanistan contract, I could study up and take HATRA and be good to go as a FO?

That is a wise strategy because it allows you to act as co-pilot on a multi-crew helicopter and there is no time limit to it's validity.

If you write the ATPL(H) exams (HARON, HAMRA) you will have 24 months to accumulate the required flight times required to hold the actual ATPL(H) license. If you do not acquire those flight times within 24 months of writing the exams you will have to re-write them again, gain all the remaining hours to hold the license then submit all your log books to prove you have the pre-requiste types of flight hours to hold the ATPL(H).

If when you submit your logbooks, you do not have an IFR rating or night rating you will be issued a restricted ATPL(H) license which is what the heli-loggers need to do their work on heavy, mulit-crew machines.

If you apply for the license with a valid IFR, night rating, and current PPC on a multi-crew helicopter you will be issued an unrestricted ATPL(H), which is the highest license you can hold for a helicopter.

The idea is not to write the ATPL(H) exams until you are within 24 months of fulfilling all the flight time requirements to apply for and receive the license or you will have to write them all over again at $105.00 CAD a pop.

The HATRA exam is a shorter exam which lets pilots such as you act as co-pilots on multi-crew machines, with a valid PPC, while they build their hours to hold the ATPL(H).

The experience requirements to hold the ATPL(H) can be found in the CARS here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regs...1086.htm#421_35

I hope this helps, and as far as what to study it is all in the study and ref guide.

As an instructor and current ATPL(H) pilot I think you will find this information accurate.

Good luck in your carreer!

If you write the ATPL(H) exams (HARON, HAMRA) you will have 24 months to accumulate the required flight times required to hold the actual ATPL(H) license.

Didn't that get amended recently to now be just 12 months? I may be wrong but that's how I read it in the CARs.

If you write the ATPL(H) exams (HARON, HAMRA) you will have 24 months to accumulate the required flight times required to hold the actual ATPL(H) license. If you do not acquire those flight times within 24 months of writing the exams you will have to re-write them again, gain all the remaining hours to hold the license then submit all your log books to prove you have the pre-requiste types of flight hours to hold the ATPL(H).

If when you submit your logbooks, you do not have an IFR rating or night rating you will be issued a restricted ATPL(H) license which is what the heli-loggers need to do their work on heavy, mulit-crew machines.

If you apply for the license with a valid IFR, night rating, and current PPC on a multi-crew helicopter you will be issued an unrestricted ATPL(H), which is the highest license you can hold for a helicopter.

The idea is not to write the ATPL(H) exams until you are within 24 months of fulfilling all the flight time requirements to apply for and receive the license or you will have to write them all over again at $105.00 CAD a pop.

Just to clarify that, you STILL need to do an ATPL ride, which is most likely at the same time as your PPC ride.

Cheers

H.

Didn't that get amended recently to now be just 12 months? I may be wrong but that's how I read it in the CARs.

Within the 12 months preceding the date of application for the licence, an applicant shall demonstrate in flight and on the ground familiarity with and the ability to perform, as pilot-in-command of a helicopter required to be operated with a co-pilot, both normal and emergency procedures and manoeuvres appropriate to the privileges of an Airline Transport Pilot Licence - Helicopter.

(amended 1999/03/01

I read that as that is the "ride" part of the process, much like a ppc, answer all the numbers, performance etc questions. Then do the flight.