Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
STICKJIGGLER

Afghanistan Helicopters

Recommended Posts

I'm not sure whether you could pay me enough to work over there but if I were to even think about it, the bidding would probably start around 500K /year.

DC

I've been wondering the same thing. Just how much do the crews over there consider enough to work i a war zone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard from some Canadian chums, that they are doing somewhere close to 200k for a month on and off.

 

And the guy who recruits you into the job? He gets xx thou for signing you up. MAKE sure he splits it with your widow.

 

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just remember, in the mad rush to chase all those opportunities to get into a medium/heavy, that this is a war zone. The reason the customer wants 2 pilots isn't to read checklists, it is for redundancy. 90% of the flying is boring shuttle work, the other 10% isn't.

 

During our time here there have been tours where there is almost no incident on the base we live in. Other tours the rockets/mortars come in daily/nightly for a while or just the odd day.

 

Things explode in the city around you and the IED's are real. People you get know go out and may not come back.

 

The bad guys will shoot at a helicopter, especially when it is parked.

 

I won't say do not take the job if it is offered to you but make yourself aware of where you will be going and what you are doing before you commit.

Exactly right. A lifechanging expirience for sure and not necesarily for the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YOu would never ever find a 412 for half a million $$$...maybe 4 mill for a beater :P:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just remember, in the mad rush to chase all those opportunities to get into a medium/heavy, that this is a war zone. The reason the customer wants 2 pilots isn't to read checklists, it is for redundancy. 90% of the flying is boring shuttle work, the other 10% isn't.

 

During our time here there have been tours where there is almost no incident on the base we live in. Other tours the rockets/mortars come in daily/nightly for a while or just the odd day.

 

Things explode in the city around you and the IED's are real. People you get know go out and may not come back.

 

The bad guys will shoot at a helicopter, especially when it is parked.

 

I won't say do not take the job if it is offered to you but make yourself aware of where you will be going and what you are doing before you commit.

 

So just out of curiosity. Have any of CHL's 212's been involved in any altercations with the insurgents? Any unservicability issues due to a brass up with the Taliban? Anybody been hurt yet?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×