Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Afghanistan Helicopters

someone in Calgary has just registered a bunch of 412s . Don't know the name or company.

According to the TC website the owner is Conrad Naylor. Looks like he registered 8 and the serial numbers fall in the same range (464xx) as the 412CF's Allied Wings use in Manitoba for training our military drivers. The latest 412EP's coming from Bell are down in the 365xx range of serial numbers.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jacdor
Tin blades I'm afraid :(

????

Performance charts for the long 61 have been around for 40 years......

I think he meant the Long 61 with the Carson blades.

JD

According to the TC website the owner is Conrad Naylor. Looks like he registered 8 and the serial numbers fall in the same range (464xx) as the 412CF's Allied Wings use in Manitoba for training our military drivers. The latest 412EP's coming from Bell are down in the 365xx range of serial numbers.

Interesting

I don't know the name but have read a bunch of gossip about the a/c on another site.

Don't know if they are at Springbank or not.

I think he meant the Long 61 with the Carson blades.

JD

OK, well in that case then, the answer is yes.

Carson has a supplement that will increase the Cat A weights as well as the VNE. Basically for a given weight and alt and temp the Carson sup will give you an additional 1000 lbs of useful load.

The catch? There is always a catch, the supplement is an additional $100,000 USD over and above the price of the blades.

OK, well in that case then, the answer is yes.

Carson has a supplement that will increase the Cat A weights as well as the VNE. Basically for a given weight and alt and temp the Carson sup will give you an additional 1000 lbs of useful load.

The catch? There is always a catch, the supplement is an additional $100,000 USD over and above the price of the blades.

And that is specific to each airframe s/n is it not?

And that is specific to each airframe s/n is it not?

That is correct, $100,000.00 per serial number :o

I take it then that CHL and Coulson would both have this STC if they want to operate in Afghanistan? I can't imagine a 61 would do very much out there otherwise.

I can't speak for Coulson, but have it on very good authority that CHL will be using tin blades, and yes you are correct, with the altitudes and temps in "the Stan" the poor old girl on tin blades will be sucking the hind tit for sure ;)

I should clarify that the 1000lb increase is for Cat A.......Cat B will be much higher I'm sure and they operate Cat B in Afganistan.

Anyone who has flown the Carson blades will tell you what an amazing difference they make. I can tell you that on average you will hover with 10% less torque for a given weight and the climb rate is very impressive, 28 degrees, 19,300lbs and 80% torque you will climb at 1000 ft/min at 100 knots !!

Also at 5000 ft pull 70% torque and you will get about 130 kts indicated with no vibration, try that on a tin blade machine :o