Canadian Helicopters Medics Unionize

Hey WTF,

I think you misunderstood what I had hoped to communicate when I said, "Another issue CHL EMS must amend is the frequent use of foreigners who will work for lower salaries to help with getting citizenship and experience flying in Canada. CHL EMS claims they can not fill the ranks with pilots meeting the requirements in Canada."

Firstly, all of the pilots vfr and ifr I have worked with who were/are here on some form of immigrant status were first class people and capable pilots. I've shared many a pint with them and will continue too. I have nothing against them or their choice to come to Canada and I don't want them to leave. The problem I have is with CHL EMS twisting the truth with regards to HRDC. There is no shortage of pilots in Canada!! There is a shortage of monetary motivation to move from VFR to IFR salaries.

This probably will cause more misunderstanding than reverse it.

jafo

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...There is a shortage of monetary motivation to move from VFR to IFR salaries...

A buddy of mine recently moved from CHL to CHI, doubled his annual pay and divided his workload in half. Home every night as well. He is also an immigrant, you would be hard pressed to find a nicer guy to share the cockpit with.

RH

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard that the C.A.W. union rep is travelling to each EMS base over the next couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see how they proceed with the medics contract negotiations. I've also heard that the C.A.W. is potentially planning to go after ALL flight paramedics in the province. AND the pilots. (maybe some sort of respect will be shown the pilots once this happens)

Saturnman/Grover:

Would you please explain the following:

1. Does the Ambulance contract belong to CHL or CHC.

2. If it is CHL, then ON money is going to Quebec. :down:

3. The last I heard was FTQ, union, was a major shareholder.

4. What the **** is the CAW doing their, unless sanctioned by the FTQ. :down:

VERRRRRRY interesting, NO?

HEPAC, ya, ya, ya,. or maybe I should accompany the CAW rep. :shock: :shock:

Cheers, Don

1. CHL

2. It's the same country, get over it.

3. 45%, 45% also for Dobbin, 5% each for the former heads of CHE/CHW (as of when I left)

4. since when are unions sanctioned by owners. The FTQ invested because it had to be a company based in Quebec, there aren't that many

I won't touch your last comment.......

HeloTeacher: My god we meet again, I just replied to one of your posts somewhere else, maybe I'm the only one that replies.

1. No problem

2. Who said there was, I'm from Quebec.

3. My understanding was 50% FTQ, 50% to other people, break it up any way you want.

4. Nobody said anything about union's being sanctioned by owners, you did.

5. Don't know what you are speaking aboot.

Cheers, Don

:unsure: Earlier in the thread someone said somthing like the EMS FO's only need 500hrs get a grip.

I can't speak for other locations but our FO's average over 3500hrs with anywhere from 500hrs to 1,000hrs on type. That in any part of the helicopter industry is good experience. The ACTUAL IFR may be the downside but our group of pilots IS IFR qualified and night rated, pretty much no other pilot group can say that. (exceptions obviously)

This isn't meant to spark controversy, just conversation

SATURNMAN, what's your take on this?

Hello again Don, yes, we meet again.

I'll write a longer answer this time. Usually I'm trying to minimize my time on the computer here.

Regarding my point #2, you indicated the problem with the thumbs-down after your comment that Ontario money was going to Quebec. That is what I was referring to.

As I said about CHL ownership, my info is just memory and quite dated.

With regard to point #4, you talked about owners sanctioning unions:

4. What the **** is the CAW doing their, unless sanctioned by the FTQ

I was responding directly to your comments.

The last comment I was referring to was when you suggested that you should accompany the CAW rep. Long back in the HEPAC discussions on this site it was stated, I had thought by you, that HEPAC is not a union, has no union interests, and merely wants to help better the situation of helicopter industry professionals. If so, why on earth would you be touring (wanting to tour) with a CAW rep? That comment, to me, appeared to fly in the face of what HEPAC was supposed to be.

You are right, I often don't get answered here, but no matter.

One of the reasons I continue to spar with you on this forum, Don, is that you have chosen to organize an association (HEPAC) with some lofty goals (goals I generally agree with) and have often associated your name with HEPAC. I am well aware that your experience in the business exceeds mine and that you have willingly invested your time in this effort with no compensation. This is commendable. On the other hand, I believe that many of the ideas that you are supporting through HEPAC are inappropriate and I will continue to debate them with you. I'll do this because I'm still under the impression that an opposing viewpoint is still needed to refine things.

Grover, the 500 hr remark, I believe, was about CHL (nee CHE). They have had a long history of hiring FO's with 500 hours (or less) because they are cheaper. There are higher time people as well, but certainly not all.

Southoftheborder,

based on your experience with your union, what kind of benefits would the Canadian bush industry (fires, oil, gas & mining exploration, helilogging etc.) gain if, for instance, all pilot's and engineers were unionized overnight??? How do you think contract guys would fit in to this scenario??

Keep in mind that I have always been critical of most union (I know that if they didn't exist, a lot of companies would abuse their employees but unions usually take it to the other extreme and render North American industries completely uncompetitive)

That being said, there is no doubt in my mind that a lot of improvements are needed in this business such as working conditions, protection for refusing to do things that are unsafe etc.

We don't get the union side of story very often so I'm just curious to see if my disdain for unions is justified or not!!! :D

Guest Bullet Remington

As far as I'm concerned, being a union member is like fornicating using a condom with a hole in it. - Ya get a false sense of security will being screwed!

I've been a union member for exactly 7 months of my life. During that time the "employer" conducted a wage roll-back and the union did....nothing. Not only that, but in that I was employed AFTER the first roll back, they let the employer go ahead and pull back the additional amount.

From the other side of the coin, the management side, the collective agreement don't really mean much. if one is familiar with the Canadian Labour Code. There are numberous methods to circumvent the agreement, to met the dictates of the company, including firing, laying off. down sizing, out-sourcing, or any other term you wish to use.

I never have and never will be a unionist. I am of the opinion that the only people that require a union, are those who have a deviated view of an 'us and them" perspective.

Good employers recognize the value of good employees. And good employees recognize the value of their input to the company and the employer. If each employee approaches the tasks with the view that they own, not only the job, but a valuable input to the company, there would be no need for unions.

Just my opinion.

Feel free to differ.