Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Spineless In Alberta

Just curious how many more years the operators in Alberta are going to let the ASRD dictate the rates they will be paying for rotary wing aircraft? If you have a fixed wing operation, you can tell them what they will be paying to use your services. Way to advance the industry boys.

What a load of shite!

actually AFB prices are pretty fair , I just cant see how they can justify spending all that money for the survey to say what was /is reasonable for an operator to operate safely , and then bid out thier work and accept bids for half that amount , or even as low as 40% less than what they figured was reasonable .

I think they should just rotate with the operators in each region, in other words the guys that live and maintain ready to go aircraft in each district should share the pie . then say for example , for fires when local resources are sucked up , take who is available .

we all have seen this before , it does not matter which industry , it is just common sense to look after your own back yard first . you know , the guy you sit beside , when your at your son or daughters xmas concert or hockey game ,or , your wife goes to stamping classes with their wifes , or what ever.

most districts try to do this , but they really need to stand up for local operators.

but what do I know , I guess its just good business to to f**** over each other ,

well thats my 2cents , not that it will do any good ...

Just curious how many more years the operators in Alberta are going to let the ASRD dictate the rates they will be paying for rotary wing aircraft? If you have a fixed wing operation, you can tell them what they will be paying to use your services. Way to advance the industry boys.

What a load of shite!

I think ASRD prices are fair and their pricing system should incorporated by the BCFS. Besides, if the rate is not high enough, you can potentially make it up on unused minimums.

In BC, supposedly they rotate the hiring, but if someone low balls the price, or there are special relationships, there is potential for unfair rotation.

Hiring should be done based on track record with emphasis on attention to safety.

"actually AFB prices are pretty fair"

"I think ASRD prices are fair and their pricing system should incorporated by the BCFS"

Afraid that you are missing the point. Last time I checked, Alberta is a free maket economy.

The Government setting the price that they will pay for your equipment, specifically rotary wing aircraft, is just plain wrong. Try that with Air Canada, Westjet, or any other airline and let me know how you make out.

Agree 100% that ASRD should support the local operators and give them preference over out of province operators, but they certainly should not dictate what they will pay for helicopters while the fixed wing companies set their own rates.

And if you think BCFS should follow the same system, well maybe you should look at setting up ops in a communist country - they like that type of thinking.

I

think ASRD prices are fair and their pricing system should incorporated by the BCFS.

No offence But I believe that may be the dumbest (&*%^^%% comment I have ever heard

I love living in a free market economy and i refuse too let somebody who uses a survey determine what my costs may be.

we stopped working in alberta shortly after this "new Pricing" came into effect

there is no incentive to run nicer equipment or upgrade your Iron or pay that little extra to keep a competant pilot on staff and what happens when operators can't afford where do you think the extra money comes from?

I'd tell them what we said to our insurance when they started dictating what we can and can't do

"if you want to run my buisness then I have a desk waiting in the corner of my office"

Some operators maybe able to do it some not

I like the BCFS system set "your" rate if they choose to use you then you are in the ball park

if your rate is too high then too bad

But your rate is your rate sink or swim

DSL

Guest plumber
"actually AFB prices are pretty fair"

"I think ASRD prices are fair and their pricing system should incorporated by the BCFS"

Afraid that you are missing the point. Last time I checked, Alberta is a free maket economy.

The Government setting the price that they will pay for your equipment, specifically rotary wing aircraft, is just plain wrong. Try that with Air Canada, Westjet, or any other airline and let me know how you make out.

Agree 100% that ASRD should support the local operators and give them preference over out of province operators, but they certainly should not dictate what they will pay for helicopters while the fixed wing companies set their own rates.

And if you think BCFS should follow the same system, well maybe you should look at setting up ops in a communist country - they like that type of thinking.

This just in! 2009 landmark year in the fixed wing industry!

Profits through the roof more at eleven.

For Plumber - Westjet's net revenue just fell to 20.2 million dollars on revenues of 570 million. Not a lot of helo companies could make the same claim.

As for cell phones, deregulation is letting a lot more competitors into the market which will hopefully stop the gouging that has been going on for years.

I guess we are doing well then as we are getting a much better rate than those posted by ASRD - then again....we refuse to work in Alberta for ASRD.

Point is - if all us operators got together and said to ASRD "the rate for XX machine is XX dollars", they would put forward accusations of "price fixing". Funny how that double edged sword works. Not funny how the local operators let ASRD get away with it.